son's future 7mm-08 or 260 remington

Started by rkga, February 14, 2006, 04:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkga

i just bought my 10 yr son an encore frame and stock however i am indecisive about a caliber. i personally have had alot of satisfaction with my 257 roberts on whitetail, however i am deciding on a barrell to order and i need some help on what would best fit a growing hunter  7mm-08, 260 remington, 25-06 thanks

Hunterbug

Welcome aboard. I personally like the 257. But if you are ruling that one out then I would probably go with the 7mm-08 loaded lightly for starters.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

I shoot a .260 and love it....perfect for a beginner or for someone who's not into the recoil thing...;)....

Plenty potent on deer and even loaded right elk sized game....

You can't go wrong with either of them.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

I think the 7-08 will give you a wider range of loads available.  Either one will be great for whitetail deer.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

M1Garand

I think any of them would be a fine round for deer and a youngster. If that is all you plan on hunting with one of them, pick one and it'll serve that purpose for a lifetime. I think they are all pretty comparable in recoil. I really don't think there's an advantage to any where deer hunting is concerned but that's JMO.

rkga

thanks i will order the 7mm-08. Now do you all have any suggestions on barrell size for this caliber. I want to have the std. thompaon encore barrel cut down to possibly 20 inches however will this effect accuracy. thanks again

RatherBHuntin

My son is shooting a Rem Mod 700 in .308 with a 20 inch barrell, and it is just fine with velocity and accuracy.  Ruger makes 7mm-08s with an 18 inch barrell I believe.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rkga

thanks glenn: just wondering if cutting down the barrel to 20" will have an overall effect on the optimal accuracy and whether it will increase recoil. any suggestions or notations greatly appreciated

buckshot roberts

:D Hey just post that, they are some ole boy's here with a high  I. Q. on that stuff;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

No problem RKGA, I asked the question myself not too long ago and this is the thread I was referred to

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3050

I just saw where you're from, I grew up in Brooksville.  You sure live in a nice area, you folks aint seen Florida till you seen RKGA's back yard.  Swamp, rivers, springs, gators, manatees, bears, deer, turkey, snakes, turtles, cypress, mangroves, oaks, pines and even a few monkees if you know where to look.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

;) RBH, I did'nt know the post, man that sounds like a very good hunt'n spot, them ole boy's been look'n fer the ARK in the wrong spot,:D
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

rkga

i read the thread seems -20fps for every inch in general. however the ruger compact in 7mm-08 measures 16 1/2 inch. i thinnk i will stick with cutting the barrel to 22 inch. happy medium  again many thanks

yes weeki wachee is great living on the river. beautiful

brooksville still the same they are tying to encroach however.

i did live in Kalispell, Mt i do miss the hunting not the June snows

keith

gitano

Quote from: RatherBHuntinMy son is shooting a Rem Mod 700 in .308 with a 20 inch barrell, and it is just fine with velocity and accuracy.
Would be my recommendation.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: