Deer Camp Help

Started by 30pointbuck, February 13, 2006, 01:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30pointbuck

I am looking for a good tent for fall hunting and fishing, since I am in Northern Wisconsin it is imperative that I have a wood burning stove. I have been looking at the Cabela's Big Horn II tent because of the size and weight, especially for the remote fishing trips when I would need to transport via boat or canoe.
  Does anyone have any input on a good tent for my needs? Typically it would be used by 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 yrs old.

M1Garand

My first thought would be get a canvas wall tent but if you are looking at putting one in the boat, I'm not sure if that fits your needs. We have a 14' X 16' wall tent and it is the cat's behind. We ordered the angles and cut the poles ourself out of conduit. But the tent alone weighs about 80 lbs w/out the poles and stakes. Don't know how much you're looking to spend but you can get something like a 10' X 12" for $353-$465 depending if you want it treated or not. If you want to check some of them out, here is where we ordered from and you can get them smaller (and less weight) than what we have:

http://www.davistent.com/

I don't know a whole lot about the Big Horn II tent, looks like an OK tent but my only concern would be what the it is made of. With a woodstove, even with a spark arrester, you'll get some hot embers on it so I'd call Cabelas beforehand and ask what the material is so you don't get holes burnt in it. Also don't let the 12' x 14' fool you, the corners are cut on that tent so it's not as big as you'd think, esp for 3 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids, esp when you add in the gear. Anyway, here's ours this deer season before and after the snow hit:D

30pointbuck

Thanks for the info and pictures. looks like a great set-up.

Tags: