Day pack,what do you take?

Started by Shotgunhemi, November 02, 2004, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgunhemi

Hey guys. Im going hunting for the second time this weekend.:D I bought a huntech day pack today and was just wondereing what items you hunters out there pack, if you use a day pack that is. The essentials are obvious: small first aid kit, matches, knife, maps and compass, plastic bags/garbage bags, rope/cord, snacks, water, torch(flashlight), spare batteries, spare shirt and thats about what i would need. Any suggesstions or opinions would be appreciated.

Chris
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

bayouray

I'd add toilet paper and I like to carry flagging tape to help in blood trailing.

Hunterbug

TP is a big one. I also take zip ties to attach my tag to the animal and a pen to sign it. I take hand warmers, probably not something that you worry about down under and an extra pair of socks so I can change when I stop for lunch. Nothing makes the feet feel better than a fresh pair of socks. Oh yea, I always have a cleaning rod! After I slipped in the mud and fell and the barrel of my rifle got plugged I don't leave home without it. Fortunately when I fell I had already shot my deer but the lesson was not lost on me.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

teddy12b

Two of you just mentioned toilet paper, and I'd like to know doesn't the smell "what you left in the woods" spook the deer?  I know how sensitive a deers nose is and it just sounds odd that you wouldn't just say the heck with it and leave the woods if you couldn't hold it.Don't get me wrong, I've left my own "marks" in the woods on several occasions but never while hunting.  Thought that would scare away the game.

rednkwmn

Being a female, I ALWAYS carry toilet paper with me. I don't know about the other business, I usually do that before I go out or save it until I come back, but when I have to go, I usually will walk a bit of a distance from where I am hunting. Then I dig a hole, "utilize the facility", and then I bury it. Sometimes I will even sprinkle a little doe pee on top of it as well. Then I get out my travel size bottle of scent-away spray and spray myself down really good, including the soles of my boots, before walking back to my stand. This has worked for me.

azhdryder

Baby wipes, TP is a great thing to have, but baby wipes take up about as much room and have more uses. They take off gas, oil, diesel, blood as well as function as TP. You can wipe almost anything with them and they are almost as easily broken down by nature as TP is.  DONT let them freeze if you are going to use them as TP tho. Important safety tip there from experience.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Daniel in Ak

Bud! everyone hit some good points.And I've learned take what the weather deems or lack there of.Meaning I also take a large one gallon zip lock bags to weather proof pretty much everything,especially my t-paper.The bags come in handy for many things.

Also I take black electrical tape,combination of knives(skinning,caping and a small hand saw or bone saw) knife sharpner,bottled water,MRE main meal broke down,snacks,light weight but good breathable wet weather gear(top & bottoms)As for the xtra shirt I've learned that socks are more important.I can always go with out a shirt to let it air dry.But you see I carry a thermal shirt,t-shirt,sweatshirt with hood and a good heavy coat.
 Also I carry 550 cord with me,comes in handy tying things and makes great for boot strings.I'll carry a few bungy cords also.Even If I feel fat with all my clothes on I bungy the cords around my waist.

And lastly we also carry radios and or a cell phone.usually both.Anyhow hope this helps you out.Daniel

quigleysharps4570

Quote from: teddy12bTwo of you just mentioned toilet paper, and I'd like to know doesn't the smell "what you left in the woods" spook the deer? I know how sensitive a deers nose is and it just sounds odd that you wouldn't just say the heck with it and leave the woods if you couldn't hold it.Don't get me wrong, I've left my own "marks" in the woods on several occasions but never while hunting. Thought that would scare away the game.
When it comes down to it, if ya gotta go bad, you aren't going to make it out of the woods. Scaring away the game is the last thing on your mind. :eek: :)

Shotgunhemi

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah toilet paper and also baby wipes sound like a good idea. I think i also will bring a UHF radio next time. On that hunt i nearly stood on a tiger snake (second deadliest in the world) and if i did with no radio, it could have been bad. Anyway keep putting in suggetions. Thanks guys

Chris
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Tags: