Simmons Master Series Scopes

Started by sakorick, January 29, 2006, 09:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Well, it took me awhile to research these scopes since John's original post was very confusing to me. Well, I am now more confused, however, Simmons seems to have come up with some revolutionary changes to internal scope design. I was skeptical (who show me Rick:rolleyes: ) at first, but the changes made in the way of eliminating the biasing spring by use of a beryllium ring at the gimbal point makes sense. By the way, I had a biasing spring fail in one of my Leupolds a few years back. Side bar aside, the new scopes also have new glass, new coatings, new windage and elevation adjustments, greater eye relief and a 17% more increase in windage and elevation range. Any time you can reduce the number of parts in something you can build lighter and stronger. It seem Simmons has done this. I did some checking and you can purchase a Master Aetec 4X14X44 for under 200 dollars and get this.....it weighs a mere 12.8 ounces!!

Okay, who out there has purchased one of these or is everyone waiting for someone to be the Guinea Pig? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

2ndtimer

Rick, I probably would have purchased on of the new Master Aetec 4x14x44 if they were actually available!  Just try to find one in stock anywhere.  There are none to be had.  Since they were supposed to be available back in October, I decided to get one of the new Nikon Buckmasters with side focus instead.  It sure seems to me that Meade(Simmons) is having serious issues with their new flagship scope to be 4 months behind on shipping them and no explanation as to why.  They are still advertising them, though.  Has anyone even been able to buy one of the 2.8-10 Aetec Masters?  From what I have seen, only the cheaper models have actually been in stock, and the initial reviews of those have been less than enthusiastic.

gitano

QuoteI did some checking and you can purchase a Master Aetec 4X14X44 for under 200 dollars

I noticed that... and you might notice that $200 figure is the one I chose to use as my upper limit in the other thread regarding 'scope vs. rifle costs. There is method to my madness on occassion. :D

Quoteif they were actually available! Just try to find one in stock anywhere.
Same Old Story as far as I'm concerned.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

2ndtimer

Quote from: HunterbugHere's a few for you guys. Both of these places list them as being in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=510964&utm_source=yahoo_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=657

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=SIP39X40WAM&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=374865
Look again, Hunterbug. We were referring to the Aetec Master 4-14x44. Neither of your links has them as "in stock". We already acknowledged that some of the cheaper models are indeed available, should anyone be interested in them. Midway isn't even listing the Aetecs, while the other link indicates they are "accepting orders". Translation, we don't have any and don't know if we will ever get any, but if you want to place an order, we would be thrilled to have your credit card number in case one actually shows up! ;)
 Edit, just checked the website that is "accepting orders", it is even better as they charge your credit card when you place the order so you can pay interest while you wait to see if the product will ever be shipped.  No thanks.....

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: HunterbugYou're right, my bad.
Don't take it to heart, neighbor. I usually buy my scopes from SWFA as their prices many times actually beat my prices from the distributors! When I made my post on the new Simmons Master series, I ordered one from SWFA....That was over 30 days ago and I haven't heard a "peep" since then. I will have to give them a call tomorrow if time permits.

BTW, I have a Nikon Monarch 6x42 on one of my rifles and it has more clarity than any scope I own. I read a report somewhere that these particular (Monarch) scopes have a light transmisson of 93% which is as high or higher than any scope available..........US or European. Maybe-maybe not......but I am sure impressed with the clarity and sharpness of my particular scope!

(Now if I could just remember which rifle that was on!!!!.....duhhhhh!)

Ol' John...:D :rolleyes:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

RatherBHuntin

There website lists the Monarch at 95%.  3-9x40 list price........$299 at Midway
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Ooooh baby - would I dearly love to actually measure transmission on some of these claims. I am almost certain the outcome would be identical to the outcome when the muzzle velocity claims of ammo manufacturers were "checked" as chronographs became available to 'the comon man'.

Those of us that go back before chronos were commonly available will testify to the fact that most ammo makers today are substantially "less optimistic" (oh heck, I can't suger-coat it - HONEST is the right word), than they were 25 year ago. (There are unfortunately still exceptions - those hawking WSM, WSSM and "Light Magnum" loads come to mind.) If someone would start offering a 'scope testing service, I'd be willing to bet hard cash that 'scope specs would get considerably more modest (HONEST) too.

It's too bad there aren't enough honest gunwriters around today to do the testing of 'scope light transmission. As a general rule, gunwritng these days is so dishonest that if some writer did do such a test, I'd believe the manufacturer's numbers before I'd believe the gunwriter's.

Expect no apologies,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitanoOoooh baby - would I dearly love to actually measure transmission on some of these claims. I am almost certain the outcome would be identical to the outcome when the muzzle velocity claims of ammo manufacturers were "checked" as chronographs became available to 'the comon man'.

Those of us that go back before chronos were commonly available will testify to the fact that most ammo makers today are substantially "less optimistic" (oh heck, I can't suger-coat it - HONEST is the right word), than they were 25 year ago. (There are unfortunately still exceptions - those hawking WSM, WSSM and "Light Magnum" loads come to mind.) If someone would start offering a 'scope testing service, I'd be willing to bet hard cash that 'scope specs would get considerably more modest (HONEST) too.

It's too bad there aren't enough honest gunwriters around today to do the testing of 'scope light transmission. As a general rule, gunwritng these days is so dishonest that if some writer did do such a test, I'd believe the manufacturer's numbers before I'd believe the gunwriter's.

Expect no apologies,
Paul
You got that right. IMHO, there are no honest gunwriters around..... none. They are sitting around taking the best bids to say some drivel about something they know nothing about. They are arrogant, pompous, weenies that know alot about nothing. I have cancelled all my gun subscriptions and  am now at peace. A person can learn more on THL than all the expert magazine articles put together. Here is a typical example "The 30'06 is one of the most versatile cartridges ever produced" WOW!!!! what a revolation. I'm happy now.....I vented! Regards, Rick.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Checked with SWFA this AM on the 6x42 scope I ordered in December....nothing yet on when they will be arriving.....................hmmmmm!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

sakorick

Maybe the Chinese Junk with the Simmons cargo is lost out there in the Pacific???? When they aren't on eBay....they aren't. Regards, Rick.

Tags: