Scent Question

Started by teddy12b, November 01, 2004, 07:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

Honestly, now many of you smoke while you hunt?  I'm one of those guys that's always saying he'll quit and only smokes on occation and on long drives.  I havn't smoked in a little while and I know that on the 9 - 10 drive to the hunting lodge I'll be smoking.  I just want to hear stories from both points of view.  After I've been in the woods for a while my mind begins to wonder and I start thinking about having a cigarette, hopefully I'll be able to completely quit by then but who knows.  Does anyone have any special tricks to covering up the scent.

savage

I just don't think you can cover up smoke scent. Being a no-smoker I can smell it on someone in about 2 seconds. What I do to descent my cloths and keep them that way is put them in a large garbage bag and put some baking soda and apples in. Seal it up until its time to go to the stand/blind.

Antler3

Only thing I know to do is keep the wind in your face. I have quit smoking now I smoked for 24 years. But I was smoking a cig. when I took my biggest buck ever. I had just sit down (ground blind from natural material.)  And doe bleated one time and then said he'll be here in a min. and put my cig. out within a min. or two here he come. I was facing north the wind was coming north west and the buck came from the south and crossed over to the west of me. He was an 11 point scored 140.Two shots with muzzleloader ! Grazed his belly first shot. He layed down and got back up while I was re-loading. He watched me tamp my bullet. He took couple steps and offered me perfect broadside shot at about 45 to 50 yards. I'd call that pure luck !!!
ANTLER 3

teddy12b

Wow, that's an awesome story.  I bet you'll never reload another muzzleloader as fast as that one time in your life again!  Congrats on the buck.  I've gone a week now without a cigarette and last night I passed the "bar test" of hanging out with friends and not smoking so maybe I can pull it off this time.  I've just heard soo many different opinions on this issue and I know the answer in my heart was to not smoke and why take the chance.  At the same time though I wanted to hear stories like this one see that it's not the end of the world if a guy has a cigarette in the woods.  Did you put the butt in a container or just snuff it out in the dirt/snow?  Thanks for your story and advice!

Antler3

Congrats on your smokin' best thing you can do. I gotta confess though I started chewing when quit smoking and that smell is worse than cig. so they say. I just dubbed it out on a rock and left it laying beside me. The wind must have been right or he just didn't care. I was using code blue doe estrus also. Had the spot scented for couple days. His hormones could of clouded his judgement. All in all quiting smoking is your best bet in my opinion not only for success in the deer woods but so you'll be able to go for many more years to come.Where ya from?
ANTLER 3

teddy12b

I'm from Fort Wayne Indiana.  The only time I've ever really truelly been hunting deer I was smoking and I did see a doe.  I didn't shoot however because I wanted a buck.  I'm working on the quitting smoking.  It's been over a week now.  I know I won't get started on the chewing tobacco, because I only tried that once and it really didn't do anything for me.  Just made me have to spit and I just didn't get into it, so I'm lucky there.  Thanks for all your advice and words of wisdom!!

Antler3

Good luck this year teddyb12 hope you get a biggun' and good luck on the quitting smokin' you'll geter done. Let us know how you do !
ANTLER 3

Tags: