An Upper Class Hunting Camp

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 20, 2006, 07:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Now this particular camp we're visiting on Friday is obviously across the ocean.  It is so clean and neat that I think you'd have to dress for dinner.  It doesn't look very temporary unless these type of structures can be thrown up fast.

I can imagine rising around 8 a.m., a light breakfast, looking over my brace of double rifles, climbing into the Land Rover and motoring out to wherever my trackers thought there might be something worth shooting.

If I haven't shot anything by noon, the Land Rover would appear with a large woven basket replete with cold meats, fruits, a sparkling beverage and napkins.

As it is I have to settle for a cheese sammich, a plastic baggy with some corn chips and a 7-UP... more often it's creek water.

After taking my Cape Buffalo, I leave the dressing out to my PH and motor back for a shower and a truly succulent meal by the chef on duty.  Around here I have to settle for the bisquits (if any) left over from breakfast.  

So... I reckon it will always be just passing by these type camps since I much prefer the campfire, the hot coffee on the flat rock and just the right amount of wood ash on my bisquits.

Cold and a skiff of snow in the Valley of the Clark's Fork this morning.  Woodwork to do today so I'd better keep moving along.  As the years wear on, I have a tendency to fall asleep in my chair if I hesitate.

Dragonfly

I'll say "upper class" at approx $10,000 a pop for a weekend.  Probably more now.  And as you say all the good stuff.

Years ago we went to a Plantation in Georgia.  Run by Billy Twitty.  Hummm...Cypress Plantation?  My memory of the name fails me but I'm thinking it was Cypress Plantation.  Owned by the man who runs the Boys Clubs of America.

I saw these same huts.  You can go for a weekend of bird hunting or a weekend of gator hunting.

Going down I-95 instead of turning left to go to Hilton Head you turn right, go a little ways and there she is in all her radiant glory.

They take you out in a covered wagon.  Really neat!!!

Hiker

Jay,
 Did you have any of that Red Bush Tea? African Special. Really good stuff. What will up be hunting tommorrow? Kudu? Gemsbok?
 Jeff

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've never heard of Red Bush Tea Jeff... does it taste pretty good?

When I was young (in my 20s) I really thought I would go and hunt in Africa, but it didn't happen.  What did happen was that I got my hands on Towsend Whelen's two volume set of hunting.  It inspired me to hunt my own country... which may sound boring to those who have hunted North America extensively.

But what I wanted (and still want) to do is hunt it in a certain way.  I cannot lay out what that 'way' is here since it would take much too long.  Folks around here know that I am pretty traditional in my choices so that might just tell enough.

I would very much like to hunt Alaska when it becomes feasible.  Other than that, the big game of the rest of the U.S. will suffice.  That is only half the hunting since I would like to get back into shotgun hunting again.  Perhaps that will come to pass.

Of all the camps I've made, I think living in my 18' lodge has been the most enjoyable.  They say it's big enough for 4 but I prefer a maximum of 2.

The actual hunting of the game animal is great but it is all that goes into it and all that I remember which I find most enjoyable.

Dragonfly

I'm with you Jay.  I never wanted to hunt anywhere but here.  I have no desire to hunt in any foreign country.

And I'm not into hunting exotics either.

And anyhoo I have a fear of flying!!!

I fly my jet...but "when it comes time for the pilot to go I don't want to go with him."
I had a friend who flew fighter jets and he would never fly commercial.  He would always say the above statement to me.

Dragonfly

OOPS I was trying to get my "right to bear arms Jet" in the picture...sorry about that.  I've not learned how to use all my programs yet.

Hummmm

Dragonfly

Ok I've got to go test!!! Mrs Magoo!!! LOL!!!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

I am with you, brother Jay.  A max of 3 like-minded individuals to a hunting camp.  Any more than that and it becomes a crowd.....and I avoid crowds.  Personally, I must be getting set in my ways as I age...somewhat gracefully I hope.  To me nothing is better than bacon and biscuits/gravy with coffee in the morning at the ol' campsite.:D  And maybe a little orange marmalade on a few biscuits set aside for dessert!  Of course, a few pickled jalapeno slices to go with the bacon just to keep the juices flowing and as a blood purifier.;)

Gotta love it!!!!!:D

Ol' John....:) :p
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hiker

:D Jay,
Yes! Red Bush Tea is great! My friend came back from Africa a few years back and had a bunch and gave me some.
I'm like the rest of you.....being content on hunting the rockies for the rest of my life. All of the game brings different types of challenges and I love them all. Now if I could figure out a way to hunt from September-January!:D

Dragonfly

Come to Tennessee Hiker.  Our hunting season.  Bow is in Sept and October, rifle is in Nov. Muzzle loader is in there somewhere between bow and rifle.  Then back to muzzle loader and bow in January.

And some dandy squirrel hunting in Sept too.

Hiker

:D Dragonfly,
That's a long season. Maybe one of these years, I'll get back that way and hunt some deer. I was thinking more on the lines of Colorado, 2-Hunts, Wyoming, 1-Hunt, Montana, 1-Hunt, New Mexico or Utah, 1-Hunt.:D

Tags: