North Central Mo cartridge series...the STW

Started by sakorick, January 13, 2006, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Good grief what a beastie! Anyone had any dealin's with this thing?
8330 Swift Scirocco Alliant Reloader 22 3541 fps

This is a 150 gr Sirocco....Maybe I found the happy hunting ground? Folks have been grumbling about the RUM......maybe the older STW deserves a look???? In my search for the ultimate long range bullet, this might be it! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I dunno Rick. The overall gun weight is 1467 pounds. That takes care of the 4100+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy pretty well, but I don't think it'll be your mountain rifle.

:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Well, I hunt out of fixed stands and won't be carring it but 18 feet up. When you hit the big 60, a guy needs to chill. :D Regards, Rick.

klallen

Howdy SAKORICK  >>  I've got a lot of respect for the 7mm STW.  I used it extensively on our MT Mulies back in the late 90's, into the 2001 big game season before I rechambered the rifle to the 7mm RUM.  I loved the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip in it at velocities just over 3400 fps.  Extremely accurate and comfortable to shoot.  If I were loading for the STW today, I'd be using the 140 gr. or 160 gr. AccuBond's, exclusively, for deer.  The 160's are what I have rolling in the RUM now and they do get the job done nicely.

That 150 gr. load you posted looks to be an extremely hot load.  Even with 3" more then what's considered a standard STW barrel length (26"), that load is smoking.  I'd love to see how long his primer pockets last.

Mark R

A friend of mine has a 24" rem. barrel he took of a SS BDL. I beleive it's from one when Rem. just started chambering the STW. Thus the 24' length. He said he'd give it to me. H e has 3 like brand new. He took them off when he got them and went with 27" Douglas barrel I beleive. would I be wasting my time putting it on a 270SS BDL I had rechambered to 270Wby. I wish I had a 26' on it. When he first told me about the barrels I assumed they were 26" now I'm having reservations about going with a 24' STW. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
marktx

klallen

I believe a 24" barrel is hamstringing even the small magnum cartridges ( i.e. 7mm RemMag, .300 WinMag, .270 WbyMag).   Move that next tier up in size and it's more of the same.  If you've got yourself a .270 WbyMag working well, I really don't see any value in getting a 24" 7mm STW barrel to replace it.  I'm not saying you wouldn't outperform your WbyMag, but you certainly wouldn't be doing thing with the full potential that the STW case has to offer.  26" would be minimum barrel length for me and this kind of cartridge, with a 27" barrel being even more desireable.  Large powder capacities just need barrel length, no way around it.  Later.  >>  klallen

sakorick

Quote from: klallenHowdy SAKORICK >> I've got a lot of respect for the 7mm STW. I used it extensively on our MT Mulies back in the late 90's, into the 2001 big game season before I rechambered the rifle to the 7mm RUM. I loved the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip in it at velocities just over 3400 fps. Extremely accurate and comfortable to shoot. If I were loading for the STW today, I'd be using the 140 gr. or 160 gr. AccuBond's, exclusively, for deer. The 160's are what I have rolling in the RUM now and they do get the job done nicely.

That 150 gr. load you posted looks to be an extremely hot load. Even with 3" more then what's considered a standard STW barrel length (26"), that load is smoking. I'd love to see how long his primer pockets last.
Here's the link. http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=44&BulletWeight=150&offset=-1

Seems too fast for me. The Scirocco 150 sure would be a terrific bullet if the barrel will stabalize them. I found a NIB Sako and couldn't resist. Another guy on that site claims 3400 with noslers. I tend not to put much credence in some of these claims. The 24hr campfire has a host of posters with wild claims....How about a 7mag shooting 140's at 3450????? Yeah, sure. That's why I like THL....good honest reporting and no name calling. I've learned more on this forum than I thought possible....and a good one pops up nearly every day!:D Regards, Rick.

gitano

Mark,

I hesitate to mention it, but obviously I still am. You do yourself a dis-service when you don't consider all the options. The Speer 115 HP works extremely well in my 7x300 Weatherby - which I built primarily for sheep hunting. It was re-chambered 7mm Rem Mag on a Rem 700 action with a 24" barrel. The result is the ballistic twin of the 7 STW. (This cartridge was around at least 25 yeas before the STW series.) Since there seems to be some skepticism regarding MV claims, I'll simply say this: I load for accuracy, not speed. I don't blow primer pockets, unless by accident - period. (I have only done it twice in 40+ years of reloading.) That bullet shoots consistent sub-MOA 3-shot groups, and 3400 fps is considerably below my average MV.

Would the performance be better in a 26 or 28" bbl? Depends on how you define better and what performance standards you're trying to achieve. It certainly wouldn't be worse with a longer barrel. Haven't had anything in Alaska 'complain' about the perfomrance of this bullet at these speeds from this rifle OR a 7mm Rem Mag. With the 24" barrel, I consider the performance of the 7x300 to be insufficiently better than the 7mm Rem Mag to warrant the hassle of a wildcat (of course the 7 STW isn't a wildcat) and extra powder usage "worth it" to me. I keep my big game shots to less than 300 yds (never shot a Dall sheep - that animal supposedly requiring long shots - at more 220 yds) and most less than 200. Therefore, the 7mm Rem Mag serves all the needs I have regarding trajectory and delivered energy. Your 'needs' may be different.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: