Please Help!!! Qeustion About 17hmr Point Of Impact

Started by buckfever, December 28, 2005, 07:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckfever

:confused: IF I PUT ON A BSA SWEET 17 6-18X40 SCOPE AND SIGHT IN AT 100 YARDS WILL IT SHOOT HIGH AT  50, 40, 30 AND SO ON????

AND ALSO WITCH SCOPE SHOULD I USE THE BSA ABOVE OR A TASCO VARMINT 6-24X40????
The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.;)

Marlin917VS

With mine sighted in at 100 yards I'm pretty much dead on from 20 to 120 yards.  I think the highest about the line of site it gets is around 1/4 inch.  Can't help you with the scope, sorry.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Daryl (deceased)

Best way to figure out what's going on with YOUR rifle is to go sight it in and check it.

The poi will vary from about 1 1/2 inches low to however high...depending on your sight in and the way your rifle is set up.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Assuming the axis of your 'scope is 1.5" above the axis of your bore; a 20 grain bullet in a rimfire 17HMR; and a muzzle velocity of 2550 (asserted by Hornady); the bullet will be on average:

0.33" LOW at 30yds
0.06" LOW at 40yds, and
0.14" HIGH at 50 yds.
The maximum height abovethe line-of-sight is 0.33" between 69 and 75 yds.
It'll be 0.33 inches LOW at 112 yds.

I seriously doubt you are capable of holding your rifle to 0.06" (or even 0.14") of precision at any range. 0.33" is certainly "do-able" with everything just right, but highly unlikely anywhere but from a bench.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sav17

Hi Buck,

get your self some hornady 17grn vmax ,zero at 100yrds and go hunting she,ll drop severely after 130yards but you dont want to be trying for anything past that any way,its a small bullet travels quick but loses inertia really quick,it,s an excellent little round but you have to realise it,s limitations,i,m not knocking the 17 hmr I love it I use one mine all the time it gets more use than anything else ive got,but its definately a sub 120 yard rifle and any thing bigger than a rabbit you need to sure of your shot placement.
I zeroed mine at 100 on a bench and out to 120 she will put the round into a 1.5 inch area which is all you need to head shoot a small critter regardless of range(under 120 yards of course) so get on the paper at 100 and just enjoy (use the hornady v max,the 20 grainers aint so good,well not in my rifle anyway)
Your friend ..................................Richie
(sorry need to clarify the twenty grain bullets are ok but dont seem quite so flat shooting in my rifle might work well in yours,and they dont seem to do quite as much damage to the meat if your shooting for the pot)
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

buckfever

Thank You Very Much Sav17 I'll Get A Bsa Scope Today And Sight In This Weekend. Thank You For Your Kowledge
The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.;)

buckfever

sav17

Hi Buck,
Thanks my friend,you just enjoy that rifle ,let me know how you get on
your friend ............................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

gitano

Richie,

That's not a new avatar is it? :D:D:D

Now where might that have come from?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

English