dogs

Started by 243win., December 23, 2005, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

243win.

im just wonderin if im the only one that thinks huntin deer with dogs is unfair cruel and dumb or am i the only one with care for animals around here im really startin 2 get annoyed with all these new dog huntin for deer sights do any of yall agree with me or am i an army of 1???

Steven Fletcher

hey man your right there with me hunting with dogs for deer is just saying that them people aint good at deer hunting the right way. It is cruel,and Stupid, and how is it fun with those dogs.:frown
mossberg
savage
realtree:cool:

M1Garand

Well...I won't judge what I haven't done but there are many different ways to hunt that may be different than what we are used to or grew up with.  I know that in the south, they hunt with dogs in some areas and what I have seen, some of these areas are very thick and it may well be very difficult to hunt otherwise.  Maybe someone who hunts in these areas can shed some more light on it.  

Many areas also allow baiting and there are different views on that as well.  Some of these diffferent methods of hunting may depend on terrain, vegetation, weather, etc.  I know I was skeptical of how some of the baiting is done with automated feeders in Texas but as I heard more from those there who hunted this way, I understood more on why they hunted that way and would probably do the same.

buckshot roberts

:( You can use dogs (on a leash) to track and locating wounded deer, in kentucky, Now you can use dogs for locating and fluching fall turkey, But I will not do this, I love to turkey hunt the old way, If they make it to were you can use dogs to hunt deer here I will not do it, they are somethings I will not do, this does not make it a bad thing to do, it's just not for me.;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Gentlemen, we try not to call anyone dumb, cruel or stupid around here.  If there were a time to do it, you most certainly would have to be well informed about what it is you are criticizing them for.  To say you don't understand why someone would hunt that way, or ask what it is they get out of it or how they go about it perhaps, but not insult  them.  And as far as  "the right way" to hunt, I sure wish I knew what that was, it would have really flattened the learning curve for me.  Could have prevented alot of unneccessary posts as well.  

Hunting dogs don't catch the deer, only chase them up out of whatever holes they are hiding in or out of the swamp.  They uually run from one ridge to another or one road to the next and then stop.  They aren't wild dogs.  M1Garand was on the money.  There are areas in the deep south that a human being cant walk through, and those are the areas where hunting with dogs was a traditional method.  I have hunted this way a once, and we didn't get a single deer, just one hog.  It was the hardest day of hunting I've had to date, ever try to chase a dog for a few hours?  Funny how it's ok to hunt rabbits, coons, lions or rabbits with dogs, but because its a deer it is cruel?  Thats not logical thinking.  A deer will outrun a hound anyday, plus it may just outsmart him as well.  

Try to be more open minded when faced with a foreign concept, it will make your life much more fullfilling.  Hunting is different everywhere you go.  Different terrain, animals, weapons, seasons and people all make for different requirements to be successful.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

243win.

i think any chasing an animal to somene to shoot it is not right,  trackin wounded deer is fine but just runnin healthy animals toward a person sittin in the back of his pickup with a 12gauge to shoot at 2 me means that they just arent good enough 2 be still and quiet and learn there way in the woods to hunt deer so they get dogs 2 do the work for em

Gmoney

.243...you're missing the point...

One last thing, how do you hunt deer?  You sit in the woods and shoot at a "healthy animal" without it even knowing you're there......Correct?

Your logic is just not all there...

RatherB and M1 hit it right on....everyone has their own methods and what they think is right/wrong.....that's how life is....different parts of the country hunt differently and that's just how it is....

Take care bud....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

knuckledragger

I live in coastal NC.  The area is swampy with dense vegetation (called poccossin swamps).  I have not hunted with dogs however I have attempted to hunt on foot the areas in which they run their dogs.  After these attempts with visibility limited to 10-15 yds, maybe a bit more, and more time spent crawlin' around on all fours, I understand why they use dogs.  The deer need to managed and populations controlled; without this particular method, these herds would go unchecked w/ potentially disastrous results.  I've lived in many places in this country and most practices and traditions I have encountered that seemed odd at first were well founded in the practical realities of those areas.  There is a common image of folks parked in pickups alongside the road waiting for critters to be driven in front of them.  Maybeso, this is a bad image to some and the individuals and clubs should think of the image they present.  On the other hand, I have met some old timers that spend significant amounts of time scouting the areas they are going to "push" to ID likely escape routes and hiding spots.  They then set up along these.  It takes skill to train the dogs, run 'em and hunt them correctly.  Perhaps I will get to hunt with dogs some day, until then I wont knock it.  I have had hounds lost in the woods ruin my hunts a time or two, and I have heard of some of these dogs harassing deer.  There are local customs for dealing with these dogs that usually end up with the dog as coon chow and a collar thrown in the trash.

With your logic, you would also be against hunting rabbits, squirrels, pheasant, quail, fall turkey, bear and cougar with dogs. How do you feel about a group of hunters driving a property to push deer in front of standers? The concept is the same for the deer except you use 2-legged critters instead of four-legged.  These practices are all legal in various places and all have their merits.  I recommend you experience these things first before you knock them.  

Dont want to turn this into a dog pile, I think recommendations made about calling things or others stupid prety much cover it.

KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Tags: