Best cap and ball revolver for a beginner?

Started by agent00, December 22, 2005, 03:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent00

Hi, its me again, and I would like to start shooting cape&ball revolvers. I will buy soon my first gun, but which model would be thest for a beginner? From the look I like the colt dragoon and the colt 1851/1861 navy.

ps: I will use my revolver  for target/fun shooting and mayby for small gun hunting (rabbits)  In my opineon the caliber is not important for target fun shooting, but       is ther a difference in terminal peformance between a 375 cal round ball and a 44 cal round ball?

Alboy

There will be and has been volumes written on terminal performance of everything. All other vairiables being equal the 44 will hit harder than the 38(375). Moving some variables around the two will match performance in some places (slow 44 versus fast 38).

In rabbit hunting either will get the job done and IMHO will get the job done up through coyote sized animals.

My personal preference is the 44, with which I have taken grown hogs 125-200 weight range. Neither one is punishing to shoot unless you want to push the 44 on up there.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Stryker

Agent,
I have a Ruger Old Army and I love it. There are many different makes and models out there cheaper and will work well for target shooting. I would look for a couple of things in a BP pistol. 1) I prefer a steel frame. Brass frames are period correct too, but if you want to shoot hotter loads you won't risk possibly warping the frame with steel. 2) I also look for pistols where the loading lever has some kind of catch to prevent it from falling when shooting. The Remington model is a fine gun as well. I've had my ruger since 1984 and have shot it quite a bit. It's probably the most expensive one out there but it will last you for a long time. If you can find one used and in good shape that would be the way to go, That's how I bought mine. In the pic below, the second cylinder is a drop in, made by Taylor, so I can shoot .45 long colt in it. That adds a little excitment to it.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Jay Edward (deceased)

Not much I can add to what Alboy and Stryker said.  I have my own personal preferences as to use and I have used cap & ball revolvers to successfully take deer.

All I would like to add has to do with grip size and handgun weight.  Grip size will be dictated by how comfortable the handgun fits your hand... weight is included as it tends to magnify and problems you migh have with weight.

If we can believe the reference books, the gunfighters preferred the smaller Navy revolver and I can say from experience that it does feel good in the paw.  I also have several Armys and a couple of Dragoons.  The deer were taken with the Armys using roundballs only.  The Dragoons are slick looking, fit my hand but do have some weight to them.

It might be worthwhile to go to a store that has all three and see what fits good in your hand.  The holsters I use are all high riding as I prefer the correct holsters rather than the 'Hollywood specials'.

One last little item: The Navy .36 caliber is slightly cheaper to shoot due to the small roundballs and small charges.  Over a long shooting session the amount of blackpowder consumed adds up.  This wasn't a problem at one time but the increased powder costs can make a difference.

agent00

ok thx for your answers. I think I will  start with    44 ca revolver the remington 1860 army or the ruger old Army.     I could also use  a 44 cal revolver for sd in an case of emergency.

ps: The Sd thing is more theoretical, because in my country (austria) the crime rate is not so high und it is very unlikly that I have to use my rovolver for something else than target/fun shooting.  I also know that there are much better chocies for a defence gun today, but  I think in an case of emergency  a 44 cal round ball could be  quite effectiv.  What do you think?

Stryker

Quote from: Jay Edward
If we can believe the reference books, the gunfighters preferred the smaller Navy revolver and I can say from experience that it does feel good in the paw. I also have several Armys and a couple of Dragoons. The deer were taken with the Armys using roundballs only. The Dragoons are slick looking, fit my hand but do have some weight to them.

Jay,
are you referring to the 'bird's head' grip. I remember reading they were popular among gunfighters. I had a chance to try one and the feel is different from traditional grip's but they were comfortable.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

Stryker

Quote from: agent00ok thx for your answers. I think I will start with 44 ca revolver the remington 1860 army or the ruger old Army. I could also use a 44 cal revolver for sd in an case of emergency.

ps: The Sd thing is more theoretical, because in my country (austria) the crime rate is not so high und it is very unlikly that I have to use my rovolver for something else than target/fun shooting. I also know that there are much better chocies for a defence gun today, but I think in an case of emergency a 44 cal round ball could be quite effectiv. What do you think?
Agent,
From a self-defense standpoint a BP pistol would not be my first choice. With my Ruger Old Army I have punched holes thru pressure treated 4x4 lunber at about 10 feet.
- Mark

agent00

Concering Sd: Yes know that there are much better guns for sd, but I am only intersted in bp fun shooting, and it is very unlikly that I have to use my gun, for sd, and in case of emergency it is better than nothing. Mayby it is even more effetiv than a modern fmj Bullet. Here in austria, JHps are prohibited, and I think 44 cal soft lead round ball would be better than a modern fmf bullet but this wohle sd thing is more theoretical.

I wil report when I have got my new sixgun, I think I will buy an old army.:)

Stryker

Quote from: agent00Concering Sd: Yes know that there are much better guns for sd, but I am only intersted in bp fun shooting, and it is very unlikly that I have to use my gun, for sd, and in case of emergency it is better than nothing. Mayby it is even more effetiv than a modern fmj Bullet. Here in austria, JHps are prohibited, and I think 44 cal soft lead round ball would be better than a modern fmf bullet but this wohle sd thing is more theoretical.

I wil report when I have got my new sixgun, I think I will buy an old army.:)
Regardless of whether it's a round ball or JHP, I wouldn't care to be shot with either. I would suggest you take Jay's suggestion and check out a few pistols at your local store. The Old Army is not for everyone. Neither my brother or father care to shoot mine. My brother has an 1851 Navy with a brass frame he likes to shoot and my brother-in-law has a 1860/1? Army he likes.
- Mark

gitano

Agent00, gun-related crime, (requiring self-defense), in the US is far less "an issue" than the press would lead you to believe.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

agent00

Ok thx again for your answers. And concering to Ruger old army: I have got a buddy who has got two  cape and ball revolvers, he has got an ruger old army and an colt dragoon, and I will ask him, I can try out the two guns.:)

Tags: