.223 Handi twist rate

Started by drinksgin (deceased), December 06, 2005, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

For anyone who had considered the NEF Handirifle in .223 and abandoned the idea due to the 1-12" twist rate, some news, it is reported the rate will be 1-9" in 2006.
I think this should handle 65gr or so bullets , making it much more flexable in loading.
May have to rethink my failure to have one of those barrels, in fact, I have a .22 mold on order now!
Dedicated casters have been known to buy a rifle to match a mold they found!
Not that I would do such a thing, I actually did not order the mold until after the news of the new twist rate was out.:D :cool:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

QuoteNot that I would do such a thing, I actually did not order the mold until after the news of the new twist rate was out.

"Methinks he doth protest too much.":D

I'm pretty sure a 1:9 twist rate would handle any .22 bullet weight when propelled from a .223 case, including the relatively new 80 grainers. I have no trouble stabilizing them (as far as I can tell - i.e. no key-holing) when shot from .308 cases using sabots. I was always baffled as to why NEF made the 1:12 bbls. The only thing I could imagine was that they were worried about "over stabilization". Apparently they finally got their heads out of thier.... armpits.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: