my first deer

Started by sav17, December 04, 2005, 02:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sav17

hi all,
well i finally got to use my midland 243 in ernest got my first ever deer this morning,and what a deer,good sized fallow buck,still on a high so i,ll post the full story later if any ones interested.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

rockinbbar

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

knuckledragger

Great deer.  Definately interested in the details.  KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

RatherBHuntin

Congratulations.  That looks like a lot of deer to me.  You've got a good one there and now you're going to be totally ruined.  Between reloading, shooting and hunting, you just aren't going to have time for much else.
 Enjoy
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

M1Garand

Real nice one, congrats...like KD said would like to hear the details of the hunt.

drinksgin (deceased)

Richie;
You have not been reading the right books and magazines, you know it is not possible to kill anything bigger than a fox with less than a 8mm mag.  ;D
Also, proper attire, where is the Sherlock fore and aft deerstalker cap?
Nice deer, has some impressive antlers, let us know all about the hunt.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Brithunter

Whoo-Hooo!:D

Now that's the way to do it :cool:  I am extremely jealous :p

Now Richie I have only once had the chance at a really Nice Fallow Buck had him dead to rights grazing quietly about 30 yards broadside. What more can one ask for :rolleyes:  I was carrying my Husqvarns 9.3x57 loaded with 235 grn Norma semi spitzers and he got away :eek:  Why .............................................. because I never lifted the rifle as it was 12 days before the opening of Buck season :confused:  never saw him again and he was a real picture book Fallow even the light reddish brown with dappling :rolleyes: .

I can see why you would like assistance with the butchering ;)  they are not light are they? :D  I assume that the head Will be Mounted :p .

I look forward to the full step by step blow by blow account ;) :D

And a hearty well done that Man!
Go Get them Floyd!

Vermonster

Nice Deer!!!!  Congrats!!!!!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: drinksginRichie;
You have not been reading the right books and magazines, you know it is not possible to kill anything bigger than a fox with less than a 8mm mag. ;D
Also, proper attire, where is the Sherlock fore and aft deerstalker cap?
Nice deer, has some impressive antlers, let us know all about the hunt.
What Don said goes double for me.........Heartiest congratulations on a successful hunt...........tell us all the details and most of all, how you a-gonna cook up the meat from that beautiful animal.  The hunt is not completed until the first meal is cooked and consumed!:D

Ol' John;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

sav17

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement,

heres the story
as you know my licence only allows me deer stalk while supervised at the moment,so at 6.30 this morning,still dark,i picked up my friend and we arrived at the area of forestry that my other friend has just purchased,we had been hunting for about 2 hours and not seen anything at all not even any sign as we approached the furthest end of the woods my friend pointed out a small conifer sapling explaining to me the signs of deer damage which looked fresh one side of the sapling was stripped and the branches lying on the floor around were still bright and green.We carried on walking as quietly as possible,my friend is also into wildlife photography so after we,d walked on about 150 yards he pointed out a pair of goldcrests so we stopped while he watched them through binoculars,with that he tugged at my sleeve and told me to check out the under growth about 40 yards to our right.I was still using my binoculars when he hissed at me "get your rifle up!!!,it,s a big buck"(well he did add one or two adjectives which would be improper to repeat in the present company:D )i,d seen nothing but his experienced eye had spotted the tips of the bucks antlers moving above the undergrowth,I got the rifle up on the sticks and i could see the two tips he was still feeding totally oblivious to our presence,then he lifted his head and i got my first good look at him,he looked enormous,then strange things started happening my mouth went dry as a chip and i found myself starting to tremble,i looked away from the scope took a deep breath and resettled my self,my mind was racing it seemed as if i,d been standing there for twenty minutes,is this the dreaded buck fever i,d heard so much about,i thought I could see his neck through a gap in the foliage but held off and waited to see if he,d move, he seemed to coming slowly to the right where there was a gap in the under growth,i was getting really nervous that he would scent us, as he was only 35 to 40 yards away,my friend whispered if you see his neck just drop it dont wait for a body shot,with that he swung his head to the right and presented me with a perfect picture his head and about 8" of neck i placed the cross hairs on his neck just behind his head, slowly breathed out held it halfway and squeezed the trigger,sending the 100 grn interlock on its way dropping him instantly,I quickly reloaded but there was no need,he wasnt going any where, no thrashing about just total silence.
Then I was brought back down to earth with with a bump when chris said ok get out your knife i aint cleaning it for you,any way with his instruction that went well and i was able to get the 4x4 in fairly close so we didnt have to drag it to far.
So he,s all skinned and pared down ready for the freezer didnt weigh the meat but we split it half each and congratulated each other on a day well spent:D
Your friend.............................Richie
Oh yeah and ive kept the head most probably clean it for a skull mount as there are no taxidermist locally;)

Brithunter

Hi Richie,

Thankyou for that report. Now tell me just how long do you think it's going to take for the grin that's fixed on your mug just now to fade? :D

Yes the rush is what I believe they refer to as Buck Fever. Exciting is it not? :p

Hmm only half a deer................ so you need to go out and get the other half ;) . Oh you had better start a little record book, it might just help in the future when dealing with PC Plod ;)

So how does he taste??????

Again congratulations :D .
Go Get them Floyd!

slamfire

Very nice for a first deer. Mine was about the size of a big German Shepard. She was runnin' about a half a length behind her mother, and I didn't swing far enough ahead. :o Ah well, in the next 50 years I've managed to make up for it. :D
Bold talk, from a one-eyed fat man. ;)

drinksgin (deceased)

Richie;
You did not mention how long it was before you started breathing again and how long it took for your knees to start shaking and then how long to stop! ;D
Really nice, if you wish, I have some good Texas-German-Czech smoked sausage recipes. Bet it'll beat bangers!;)
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

sav17

Hi All,

only now the grin is fadin my cheeks are startin to hurt,just pan fried myself a piece of the back strap tastes like finest steak,my friends can,t believe how lucky i was first time,oh well so it can only go downhill from here,i think not:D
At last i feel worthy to be in your presence:p :D :D

Brithunter

Richie,

You know that is a nice mature Fallow Buck. hey don't start to get the palmation to their antlers till about 5 years old and notice how the top tines are slightly worn. You did real good, it's a pity that you can't find a good taxidermist as that would make a wonderful mount!

I can only hope and dream of collecting such a fine beast.

Ahhh and you might like to try marinading a nice steak of him in some Cider, it's very nice!!!!!! Red wine is good too, a robust one like a Claret or Burgandy.

Oh Don,

Fallow is some of the finest eating there is, it would be almost criminal to make sausage of it, even a mature Buck like this one. They don't seem to get the strong flavour that I hear folks complain about in Whitetails. But then my one and only Whitetail buck was a fine tasting beast.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: