Deer Camp pics

Started by M1Garand, November 29, 2005, 01:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1Garand

Well here's some pictures of where we deer hunted.  The weather didn't cooperate while we were there, it rained the first 3 days (the first with high winds and they closed the Mackinaw Bridge) and then it snowed the rest of the time.  Didn't see any antlers but this was a new area we tried to hunt in the NE lower penninsula.  But we learned a lot and will hopefully be better next year.  But got some good pictures thought I'd post.  And were we glad we had a woodstove with a lot of firewood!

Daryl (deceased)

I looks really cold compared to Arizona.  It's 25* outside right now, but no snow.  My dad's place in northern Az was supposed to get down to 5* last night.  Glad I'm down here!

Thanks for sharing the pic's!.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Whew...Daryl and M1....I'm GLAD I'm in Texas....M1, that scenery is beautiful in its own way.....but brrrrrr.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

buckshot roberts

;) M1 Garand, Thanks for the beautiful pic's, I've not seen any show like that this year, It's about 60 outside, Were did you come up with that nice tent.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

M1Garand

Well wasn't too bad, think coldest it got was in the 20's.  Buckshot, we ordered the tent from a place in Colorado, I think Davis Tents.  Great quality tent and reasonable prices.

buckshot roberts

;) I seen some very good look'n tent stoves out their, that are at a very good price, Jay has somekind of teepe:D.

:D Happy day it's get'n down to the 20's this weekend.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

motor (deceased)

Greta pics, thanks for sharing but it's too cold for me..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

Antler3

Oh wow !! That's just beautiful. Sorry you didn't see any antlers, but what a time ya'll must have had ! I love the snow. We haven't had any here this year yet. I love to hunt right after about an inch or two of fresh snow has fallen. Thanks a bunch for the pix. sure enjoyed them :).
ANTLER 3

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: buckshot robertsI seen some very good look'n tent stoves out their, that are at a very good price, Jay has somekind of teepe (lodge). QUOTE][/color][/size]

Got about 2-3 inches of snow this morning and, yes, I do have a lodge.  It's 18 ft. and has a liner.  Here is a picture of it set up in Western Montana.  You'll note how high the cover is... the liner comes all the way down to the ground.  When you have a fire going the air is drawn up between the cover and the liner creating a draft.  This draws the smoke out.

In winter, I use a different set of poles that are cut off short over the apex.  The smoke flaps are laid back along the side, a canvas cover with a stove jack covers the top.  The cover is put on so that it almost touches the ground and the liner goes down to the ground and turns inward.  This creates a double wall and the lodge is very warm and dry... usually with grass growing underfoot.  It doesn't take as much to warm it as a tent and I use a small sheet metal stove to put out the heat.  (The stove is out in my wood shop right now and makes it nice and comfortable to work)  The lodge sheds rain and snow like nobody's business and cannot be improved upon, in my estimation.

The advantage: One man can easily set it up.

The drawback:  You have to find, peel and carry around the poles.

I have two regular tents (10x12 and 12x14) with 4 ft. and 5 ft. sidewalls.  I've used all of these tents for various hunts all over Montana and I still prefer the lodge for 2 people.  For a family of 4, I would prefer the 12x14x5 ft. sidewall tent.  

If you make yourself comfortable, even if it is only for a two day hunt, you'll enjoy it that much more.  

Another plus: Your lady will marvel at what she's been missing.

Tags: