.270 and .308 Load Performance

Started by RatherBHuntin, November 27, 2005, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Got to try out my .270 load, which I hadn't put alot of thought into, just tried getting the most accurate combination I could, which wasn't easy with this rifle and also the .308 load for my son which I have put alot of thought into.  For him I wanted a low recoil load that would put em down in their tracks.  After some advice from Gitano regarding bullet, velocity and ranges I started working up a load that would produce acceptable velocity with minimum recoil.

Ended up with .308
Federal Brass
CCI LR 200 Primer
43.5 gr of Hodgdon 322
130 gr Speer HP (medium game, NOT varmint TNT type)
MV = 2950 in a Remington Model 700 SPS with a 20" bbl

This gave me acceptable velocity at 100 yards or less, the limit I was imposing on my son.  He shot a 85 pound spike at almost exactly 100 yards from a 15 foot high blind, hitting it through both shoulders, taking out the heart.  He fell, tried to get up, fell again and expired 5 feet from the point where he was shot.  The entry was small, through the shoulder, ribcage, split the top third of the heart down the middle, jellied the lungs, broke several ribs on the offside, leaving a hole big enough that I was able to reach in and pull the heart (completely detached) out with my hand without scraping the ribs.  The offside shoulder looked like it had been hit with a claymore on the inside, but the outside was fine, (lost maybe a pound of stew meat or burger) with just a small exit wound, approximately finger width in diameter.  Exactly the result I was after.  I didn't want the to worry about trying to find my son's deer, I wanted it to be an absolutley positive experience with no chance of losing the him.  I also don't like dragging animals up the sides of the bluffs they go over.

The other load is for my Win Model 70 in .270 which has given me fits for two years trying to get 1" groups.  For it I just settled on the most accurate load at a respectable velocity, near factory specs.  
Win Brass
CCI LRM 250
53gr Hodgdon 414
130 gr Speer Hot Cor Spitzers
MV = 3022

100# doe at about 50 yards, quartering away.  Entered at the third rib, broke 2 or 3 of them, split the heart almost completely in half, only an inch or so at the bottom was holding it together.  The liver had a gash in it, I think caused by the broken ribs.  Didn't get to see the chest cavity (skinning shed was busy, my 9 year old cousin took a 120# doe with his .223 at the same time).  The offside ribcage had several broken ribs and the bullet traveled out the upper leg/lower shoulder exiting there, leaving a very small hole.  The entry was bigger, though it plugged up with a pieve of fat from the rib skirt.  The blood trail consisted of one drop of blood, not much bigger than a pencil eraser.  Luckily she only went about 30 yards downhill before flipping over and expiring.  

With that performance, a blood trail would not be so badly needed, but if the shot was higher, she may have gone further, and the lack of a trail in that terrain would be problematic.  Should I push the bullet faster, or perhaps slow it down, or just not worry about it and get a bigger sampling group?  As it is, it performed very well, and as has been said before, dead is dead so it worked.  The shoulder was pretty beat up, maybe I will get some stew meat form it if lucky.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: RatherBHuntin.................................................................

The other load is for my Win Model 70 in .270 which has given me fits for two years trying to get 1" groups. For it I just settled on the most accurate load at a respectable velocity, near factory specs.
Win Brass
CCI LRM 250
53gr Hodgdon 414
130 gr Speer Hot Cor Spitzers
MV = 3022

100# doe at about 50 yards, quartering away. Entered at the third rib, broke 2 or 3 of them, split the heart almost completely in half, only an inch or so at the bottom was holding it together. The liver had a gash in it, I think caused by the broken ribs. Didn't get to see the chest cavity (skinning shed was busy, my 9 year old cousin took a 120# doe with his .223 at the same time). The offside ribcage had several broken ribs and the bullet traveled out the upper leg/lower shoulder exiting there, leaving a very small hole. The entry was bigger, though it plugged up with a pieve of fat from the rib skirt. The blood trail consisted of one drop of blood, not much bigger than a pencil eraser. Luckily she only went about 30 yards downhill before flipping over and expiring.

With that performance, a blood trail would not be so badly needed, but if the shot was higher, she may have gone further, my experience has been if the bullet strike had been higher into the lungs she would have expired sooner and possibly on the spot..... and the lack of a trail in that terrain would be problematic. Should I push the bullet faster, or perhaps slow it down, or just not worry about it and get a bigger sampling group? As it is, it performed very well, and as has been said before, dead is dead so it worked. Exceliente, com mucho gusto...no hay problemo! The shoulder was pretty beat up, maybe I will get some stew meat form it if lucky.
Sounds like an excellent day in the hunting fields for everyone.  I would be a most happy camper.

Ol' John.............:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

RatherBHuntin

I am!  Yes, I have read or been told somewhere (here?) that the lung shots drop em faster than the heart shots.  Besides the bullet, the only significant difference between the two shots is the .308 being placed about 3-4 inches higher into the top of the heart and bottom of the lungs.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

sakorick

Quote from: RatherBHuntinI am! Yes, I have read or been told somewhere (here?) that the lung shots drop em faster than the heart shots. Besides the bullet, the only significant difference between the two shots is the .308 being placed about 3-4 inches higher into the top of the heart and bottom of the lungs.
Totally untrue.......totally. The lower heart shot is better.... the lucky spine shot best. The double lung shot is effective but normally results in a running deer. The best shot in MHO is right in the front shoulder with an old Nosler or new Accubond/Sierra pro Hunter/Sierra game King....not real sold on the accubonds yet. Sometimes the old stuff works better than the new stuff. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

slamfire

I've seen plenty run with both heart and lung shots.  Some deer run even with shoulder hits. Some just topple over with any hit. I think they die quicker with a shot that takes the aorta off the top of the heart. ;)
Bold talk, from a one-eyed fat man. ;)

Tags: