P14/1917 Enfields

Started by oneshot, October 27, 2004, 07:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshot

Is anyone out there failiar with these  actions?   What will feed theough a p14 (with rail mods)using a 1917 bolt.  I would like to build a 8mm-06 but am not sure the cases will feed properly.  I do have the 1917 magazine and triggergaurd . Will this combo work or am I stuck building another Magnum?    Ant thoughts?
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

oneshot,

I have some experience with the 1917 action.  The 8mm/06 will work thru the action and is a good cartridge but I personally would go with the 338/06 due to the availability of more good bullets.(I know you didn't ask for my opinion but I felt oblidged to offer it anyway.)  Who made your P-14 action?  If you plan on sporterizing the action be prepared to spend lots of bucks!  The ears need to be ground off and I personally despise the drop magazine.  Can you live with the kock-on-close feature?  A fully customized action ends up looking pretty dog-gone good but as I said, be prepared to spend the bucks.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

oneshot

O'l John,   Thanks for the advice. I  will consider  the  338-06.  The  cock on close thing bacame a non-issue when I  installed a speedlock yesterday.  I already have one  rifle built on this action but it is a magnum and I don't shoot it much.  It is too much, too much powder, noise,heat,recoil,muzzle blast you name it.  Anyway I also agree with you on the drop magazine. Unless it is streightened they are pretty ugly.   I believe the action was made by Remington or Winchester.  It is not an Eddystone.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:rolleyes:

Remember that a dropped magazine is easliyl lost:rolleyes:

Whoops what I meant was a desirable feature on a big bore Mauser or Rigby or a Westley Richards. It all depends on how the stocking is done, me I don't have a problem with it and I can't see what the problem is with the bolt being made ready to fire on closing, after all the Le Enfield has about the fastest bolt action out there, the P-14 is not quite so fast as it's not as smooth as the Le:(

Tahts the reason for the cranked bolt handle, to put the bolt knob in the correct position for fast bolt operation and it's one f the reason why the Mauser is slower. The bolt handle is in the wrong place in relationship to the hand:confused:

That speed-lock kit.........I have heard nothing good about them, but a fair bit of complaining how they don't work. How do you find it works?

Oh I have 3 P-14 sporting rifles here all still in .303, 2 by BSA and one by Century arms which I have had re-chambered to .303 Improved.
Go Get them Floyd!

oneshot

The speed-lock in my other rifle works just fine and has for ten years.  There was a bit of fine tuning involved.  It was not a bolt in and fly type of thing.  At this time this project is still in the dream and research stage.   Although I have only fired one 303 I have always respected it.  There are a lot of moose taken every year in Canada with it and during my years in Alaska I knew several hunters who used it.   Just goes to show the tried and true still work.

Tags: