Adventureous Days at the Ranch....

Started by LLANOJOHN (deceased), October 26, 2005, 07:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

I have had mixed thoughts about starting this thread and I am going to need some input from you readers here on the forum.

As many of you know I am quite beside myself with the move from the ol' homestead of 28 years up to my cousin's ranch in SW Llano county.  It has become quite an adventure for me in many ways.  I will be 63 in about a month and making a major move this late in life could be at worst..disasterous but so far it has been a hoot and a hollar!

I am sure there are a number of folks that have never lived on a ranch and maybe they might find my adventure kind of interesting and hopefully informative.  Then again........maybe not!:(

So let me know by either posting or a PM as to whether this is a good idea or not.  The ranch has been in my cousin's family for four generations and he has some interesting stories, history and many pics.  I will be posting new pics as they present themselves.  Hunting season for deer/turkey begins on November 5...about 9 days from now.  Pics of the hunters and game will be posted with stories in the appropiate places such as the Whitetail,Big Game,etc.  We have some exotics such as Aoudad Sheep, Axis deer and feral hogs.  These are taken occasionally but not on a regular basis.

No offense taken if you think this to be boring or tootin' my personal horn too much..................Let me know.......;)

Ol' John...:)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

John;

Lay it on thick, make all them furriners wish they were in Texas.:D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

RatherBHuntin

By all means, please give us a taste of what we don't have.  It'll be interesting for sure.  Make sure you get some pics of some of those sunrises and sets.  You are awake for 'em aren't you :-)
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

mtsharps

keep having fun and send them pic theres lots to do on a ranch do they run cows (if so how many mother cows ) and always somthing to fix or do have a good day

Dragonfly

You do big John.  Post all the pics you can.  I for one have never seen Texas.  I got a little close to Dallas once a long time ago but I've never seen the real Texas.

I was raised and lived on a farm in the mountains of TN.  We had loads of typical TN wild life and I want to see yours.
And we raised cattle.  Not the long horn of Texas but black angus, simetal, dutch belted (my cows cause I thought they were beautiful).  Typically we had 20 cows and kept them going with babies.  Three bulls of thet variety we raised.

I just love the smell of cattle in the morning.  If you know what I mean.

drinksgin (deceased)

DF;
There are some ranches that are raising longhorns, but they are few and far between.
In much of the State, the favored type is a crossbreed, some Brahman,some Angus and a dollop of Shorthorn is quite common.
The Brahman is for heat and disease resistance and the others for body mass.
Most ranchers prefer mulies, that is , no horns , or they disbud the calves young, just easier and safer to work with.
Of course, someone is likely trying every breed known, a local rancher has Highland cattle, very odd looking.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Kit

Definitely want to hear it John.

Wish I could come down and help out... and take photos of my own!!!!!
 :D

Dragonfly

Drinksgin.  I've seen brangus but never raised any of my own.  I saw one in Oklahoma I thought was a hugh statue until it moved..LOL!!!:D

Biggest cotton picking bull I have ever in my life laid eyes on!!!! :D :D

English

Come on John, don't keep us waiting!  

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

M. R. Byrd

Hey John,

This 'ol farm boy would love to hear some tales from your place. I enjoy hearing a good story, just about as much as I enjoy telling one.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: EnglishCome on John, don't keep us waiting!

Mike
Mike and Friends & Neighbors,

Well, it seems there are a few that might find the story and weekly events interesting and I thank you one and all.

First, let me be clear..its not my ranch....I just live, work, hunt and eat here..and,by golly, I am a-loving it.:D

Second - a quick description that is hopefully informative. Llano county is unique. The basic rock type is granite rather than limestone. This entire area is referred to in geologic terms as the "Llano Uplift". Millions of years ago molten rock (magma) slowly cooled and formed a solid crust of granite. Pressures beneath the earth and weathering above exposed this granite and created the soil types now available. More on this later.

My cousin's ranch is located in the SW corner of Llano county. The nearest town is roughly 20 miles NE...Llano! Fredericksburg is about 25 miles almost due south and Mason(Gmoney's home town) is about 40 miles NW. The nearest landmark is House Mountain about 1 mile north. Pictures will follow sooner or later. Native grasses, Liveoaks, Post Oak, Black Jack Oak, cactii, bee brush and along the creeks native Pecan are the main trees and brush and those pesky thorny Pear cactus. (I cannot believe I left out mesquite in the original post...:o...we got LOTS of mesquite!) This is definitely goat, sheep & cattle country.

Speaking of cattle from the earlier posts, my cousin has had over the past 15 or so years had the following bull breeds doing service on the ranch--Hereford, Charloais/Limosin cross, Longhorn/Salier cross, Red Brangus and Black Angus. I will stop for now and leave you with some pic's of the Longhorn/Salier cross-bred bull........"BEVO" named in honor of the mascot bull of the U of Texas Longhorns football team. Yea, my cousin is a "tea-sipper", a degree in Electrical Engineering. Only member of the family that is a college graduate.........Don't hold that against him...he is a pretty good ol' boy!

Here is "BEVO"!
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Dragonfly

OH WOW!!! What a beautiful sight John Boy!!! I love to see health on hoof!!!
No scrawney cattle for me I like to see them healthy!!!

They are beautiful and look a lot like Symental with short horn mix.  
A thing of beauty is a joy forever John Boy!!!

Hummm hummmm love the looks of those cattle. :D

Kit

Quote from: LLANOJOHN... some pic's of the Longhorn/Salier cross-bred bull........"BEVO" named in honor of the mascot bull of the U of Texas Longhorns football team...
OK, I can see why his name has to do with a football team!!!!
 ;)
 I hope this animal considers you a friend!!!
 ...keep it coming...

English

That's a big critter John.  How does he work the cattle?  I'm assuming horses would be mandatory in that terrain.  Does he use some kind of herding dog?  I sure would like a freezer full of that beef!

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Dragonfly

ERRRR English I don't think you want to eat a bull.  Maybe a steer but not a full grown hefty bull like that one.

He is so handsome!!!! I bet all the cows go crazy around him!!!:D

Tags: