best time to take squirrels

Started by neo76201, October 17, 2005, 02:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neo76201

i was born in texas where hunting and eating squirrels was a common thing but i never got a chance to hunt them as my parents are divorced and i lived with my mom. i moved to utah when i was 14 and now 5 years later i have a job and a girlfriend whos family has land and loves to hunt. but when i talk about eating squirrels them look at me like im crazy, like im talking about eating rats or something. so thats why i am here. seeing as there are no seasons like there are for cottontails when is the best time to take squirrels for eating?? i would think in the fall and winter after it gets cold would be best. am i right in thinking that?? thanks for all your help.

neo

buckshot roberts

:D Welcome Ne076201, Season starts here in kentucky on Aug,20th and it was hot, anytime of the season is ok, I just stoped for a few weeks because it was just to hot for me in those woods, it has cooled down now to  the low 40's, On a hot day clean them fast, and get them to a cool place asap, I clean them before i get home, if i drive any were, I clean and put them on ice, then hunt some more. I love to eat them.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

SuperMag

My only preference is shooting them in the morning :p  THey are indeed like eating rats, rats that taste very good marinated and grilled.  Our season is from  August to January and they taste good any time in that season.
SuperMag

Husky6.5

Hey supermag,

What do you marinate them in? I have used the crockpot or pressure cooker.

Thanks
Scott

SuperMag

I let them soak in all sorts of different things.  I jsut get those 30 minute marinades from Lawry's.  Herb and Garlic and the Lousiana Red paper are my favorites.  I like to let them soak for at least 6 hours to really get tender and absorb some extra flavor.
SuperMag

WHITETAIL HUNTER

I figure anytime I have them in sights is the best time to take them.;) :cool:
Preserve the heritage, take a youth hunting.

Nothing outruns a deer, BUT A MAGNUM :eek:

Husky6.5

Supermag,
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that! :)

drinksgin (deceased)

Neo;
The squirrels in Texas and the eastern half of the country are , in most cases, not the same species to be found in Utah.
The eastern are the eastern gray and the eastern fox squirrels, they eat mostly nuts and hardwood treebark, plus tomatoes, corn, peanuts, field peas, popcorn, candy, bread and , a special favorite, ritz crackers spread with crunchy peanut butter.
They have good taste and taste good.
Most of the western squirrels eat a lot of conifers, needles, twigs and cones, and as a result, taste like they were marinated in turpentine.
That likely is the reason the people there do not eat squirrels.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

buckshot roberts

;) Yep, I like to marinad them,  in italin style salad dressing  I'll post some squirrel recipes, like cook'n in cream of mushroom soup,ect:)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Your girlfriend's family may look down on squirrels because the squirrels they are familiar with from their area are "red" or "pine" squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Now I love to eat grey (Sciurus carolinensis) and fox squirrels (S. niger), but I can't gag pine squirrels down. If the squirrels in your area are T. hudsonicus, there is NO "right" season for eating. But you can sell their tails to Mepps.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Dragonfly

I'm with you Gitano.  I love grey squirrels and fox squirrels and I'm going to try the marinate Super Mag.

I'm really into squirrel dumplins!!! YUMMY!!!! :D

As far as when to go around here is anytime, except during rifle deer season..much too dangerous!!!

Time of day here isn't a problem either...just any ol' time works.

What do I shoot them with...mostly shotgun 12ga.  But if I'm just out and about and not really squirrel hunting, whatever I am carrying which is usually a colt woodsman 22.  :D

Luke

I always had luck hunting them when it is raining out.

John2453

I'm in CA and hunt squirrel with my son in the western Sierra.  We don't shoot the little red guys -- too small.  There are larger greyish/brown squirrels that we shoot and throw in the crock pot with veggies.  What type are they?  I think they taste just fine.

gitano

There are two kinds... the "Eastern" gray squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis, and the fox squirrel, Sciurus niger. The gray squirrel is very obviously gray and has a white belly and a white edge on its tail. The fox is brown, and has a red belly and uniformly brown tail. If you have S. carolinensis where you hunt, they have been introduced - not an uncommon event. The "little red guys" are "pine squirrels", Tamiasciurus hunsonicus. They eat spruce cones, and they are NOT good to eat even if they were bigger. I love to hunt and eat gray and fox squirrels though. Check the Chuckwagon site for some additional recipes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Dragonfly

OHH I just love them things. LOL!!!

Paul you've got to get yourself HERE!!! And squirrel hunt Southern Style.

We have dozens of these boys around our house but they are pets.  I see they are well fed.  Hunter killed one a short while ago and I got angry at him and he's never killed another.  He plays with them. LOL!!!

But I can take you to No Man's land and you can hunt squirrel all day long and then I can make you squirrel dumplin's. :D

I know how to take their jamies off too and not get a hair on the meat. :D

Tags: