Would you take this shot?

Started by Gmoney, October 16, 2005, 01:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

You are spotting/stalking with your RIFLE of choice.....you happen upon this big boy bedded down and he is on you...you better decide what to do quick.....he is 90 yards away and you do not have time to get to a rest or set up your sticks....so the only shot is offhand and you have a branch in the way....what would you do?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Dragonfly

Shoot that big boy right between the eyes.  Heck I never miss Gmoney!!! LOL!!!

12 gauge

LOL! Draggy...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would sit down and wait for him to atleast stand up, i read in a magazine that it is best to wait for a opertunity of a clear and easy shot when they are bedded down, wait a few minutes, eventually if they are not spooked they will stand up slowly enabling you to pull of the shot..

But however if you are not sure if he seen you or caught wind of you take the shot, aim right, and if anything move to a position to where that branch isn't in your way. If you know you are a sure shot, even in a kneeling position with no rest, aim for the neck, you will drop him instantly! And also it is a clean shot to the neck!

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Highstand

Shoot! The stick is like water in golf. Everyone is afraid of it! It is less than a half inch thick. shoot under the stick and drive that bullet through the heart!

Highstand

buckshot roberts

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Dragonfly

WEll I see most agree with me. Shoot that big boy!!!! Never let an opportunity pass.  Heck on that puny stick SHEEZ!!! SHOOT!!!

Sometimes I go where angels fear to tread...I think I did pretty good on this one!!!!:D :D

buckshot roberts

:( "STICK" What "STICK", :D  Did you see that "Rack", :D  ALL them their deer burgers, :D deer sandwichs,ect.

r
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Dragonfly

Exactalately Buckshot.  DEER MEAT!!! RACK!!! Means shoot boys one of us has got to have some relief!!!! LOL!!!

What stick I was looking bwix his eyes.  LOL!!!:D

Husky6.5

Being that he's laying down and the twig is close to him, I would take the shot. Aiming right above his leg or in the neck. The twig is of no concern to me because my bullets are so awesome that the twig will break off before the bullet reaches it :)

Scott

Highstand

MMM MMMM MMMMMMM. I can almost taste the steak!

Highstand

Dragonfly

Me tooo Highstand!!! YUMMY with all the trimmings.

Let me ask you guys something:

How come you don't head shot between the eyes????  Kills em quick!!! No fuss, no bother and he never knew what hit him.  

Excuse me I'm just a woman and I like to know these things..:D

12 gauge

It would kill him easily and fast, but what happens if he lays his head down or something before you shoot? You miss!

and besides, you are planning on mounting his head aren't you? Don't want a mount with a bullet hole in the forehead! :p ;)

Man I can surely taste those backstraps! Make excellent deer nuggets!!

God bless :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Dragonfly

IF he be laying down 12ga he not likely to get up too quick. A fast shot to the head..now you can't fool around making up your mind ya gots to get to it fast.

And no I don't kill for the head or mounts. Got all I need of them.  I might send the horns to my son but other wise it's all about the meat!!!

I have never Trophy hunted in my life time.  And I don't kill does!!! Absolutely nada!!!

Willywonka

god you guys are talking about taking one of the most hated shots a quartering towards you shot and he's laying down too with a stick in the way. if you hit that stick the bullet will keep going but where? you don't know its trajectory anymore and a head shot isn't ever a 100% hit. I'd sit and wait for him to stan up and turn then shoot. or if he runs try grunting at him to stop him and if he doesn't stop ohh well you know where he is and you can find him another day. Its better to walk away from that shot than to risk spooking it with silly shots or even worse wounding it.

SuperMag

I'd take the shot, but I'm comfortable shooting off hand since that is how i do a lot of my practice shooting.  You never know when you might need to be able to take a difficult but very possibly shot.
SuperMag

Tags: