7mm 08 Vs 7mm Mauser

Started by sakorick, October 14, 2005, 06:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Well everyone's buying the 7mm08....what's your pick between the 7mm08 and the 7mm Mauser (110 years old) and why?????? OOps I think I tipped my hat!!!!Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi There Rick,

Well I have 4 rifles chambered for the 7x57 (7mm Mauser) and none in 7-08, does that tell you anything ;)  and not only that but two of them are actually 110 years old a third is only 108 years old the 4th is a baby made in the early 1980's.

Now what was the question? :p

PS  Oh Rick the 7x57 is at least 133 years old and not 110, the Spanish adopted the Mauser in 1892 with it's new fangled 7mm cartridge.
Go Get them Floyd!

oneshot

My choice in this one would be the 7X57 as it works at a lower operating pressure, has more case capacity and can handle the heavier bullets without losing afore mantioned capacity.  Th 7mm08 can be chambered in a shorter actioned lighter rifle. This is not an issue with me as I prefer a heavier rifle. It helps me hold on target shooting off-hand.
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

kombi1976

I'd go the 7x57 too.
Eventually I'll own one.
Maybe even a Ruger #1.;)
The 7mm-08 is unquestionably a great cartridge in both accuracy, flexibility and low recoil but as oneshot said the 7x57 has the upper hand and it can be loaded to 50,000 CUP in a good modern action.
Plus, it'd match my 8x57.:p
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Brithunter

Hi Kombi,

Now I simply cannot find anything in your reasoning to argue about!

I recently collected my P-H 1200 in 7.92mm back from the gunsmith, he did a beautiful job on the bedding. He also removed the leupold QR bases and fitted them to the reciever better as their profile was a little out and did not match this action well. Now they do, tried it at 100 yards with the Privi Partizen ammo which he used but was not overly impressed with the groups, although to be fair he was shooting 3 shot groups ( light barrel and I shot something like 10 or so) so when I re-rest it I will try for the 3 shot groups and try some of the S&B SPCE ammo plus a few rounds of some original Kynoch 154 grn ammo and if I can get the reloading gear set up somewhere I will try some home loads with Hornady 150 grn Spire points and the S7B 196 Grn SPCE bullets which I picked up.

So I too have  both 7x57mm and 8x57mm, ain't it grand?
Go Get them Floyd!

buckshot roberts

;) I have had a few of the model 98 mauser's 7x57 over the years, and  it's  been a good meat get'er, I still have a box of hornady 139gr, I do not know anything about the 7mm08.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

I've got a few 7x57s, but I'd take a 7mm-08 in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned, they're ballistically indistiguishable. Pick the one you like, or get a few of each.

Personally, I think "short action vs. long action" issues such as "accuracy", and "weight", and "carry-ability", are tempests in teapots. That said, it is also my opinion that there are some rifles for which the 7mm-08 would be a "bad" choice - the Ruger RSI I have in 7x57 for example. At the same time, the 7mm-08 would be an excellent choice in chambering for the new "Scout" (or "Frontier") rifle manufactured by Ruger. Of course, it's initial chambering in .308 Win is the best choice of all three cartridges. :) But then that wasn't the question, was it?:)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Quote from: gitanoOf course, it's initial chambering in .308 Win is the best choice of all three cartridges. :) But then that wasn't the question, was it?:)
Paul
ARRGGGGGHHHHH!!:eek:
Get thee behind me, Satan!!!:frown
308! What a dirty word!:(
And in the same paragraph as the venerable 7x57.:confused:
It's NOT the best choice and NO it wasn't the question.:frown :p :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

sakorick

I think gitano got real close to my take on this comparison. It's the same arguement you get when we compare the .243 and the 6mm Rem. There just isn't enough difference in terms of performance to quibble over. Then David Tubb won the national match with a 7mm08 and suddenly, the cartridge got hugely popular. Now he's winning with the 243XC....I wonder when that one will surface? I just can't wait to have the first 243XC on the block!!!!

Since I own and enjoy a 7X57, there is really no reason, as a hunter, to own a 7mm08. Same true for the 6mmRem since I already own a .243. I suppose if I were looking for a 7mm rifle and didn't own one, the 7mm08 would be the logical choice since the 7X57 has faded off the manufacture's radar screen.

Then gitano just had to muddy the waters with the NATO 7.62 machine gun round!!! Sounds like a new thread to me!:D

This has been an interesting thread and I appreciate all the input. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Now what is this .243XC? never hear of it or this David Tubb :rolleyes:  sorry. I know that the .243AI has a good reputation in match shooting but it also has a reputation for buring throats out which is why my friend Steve has a 3 groove barrel which is supposed to help reduce this throat errosion. It sure shoots well I think it was last year he came in the top three in the Missouri 600 yard bench rest shoot with it. The action is a savage 112 BVS if I remember right it started of as a 22/250 is that skeleton butted synthetic stock and it shot well but the .22 bullets were being blown around a little at 600 yards in both high Power and benchrest hence the re-barrel with the Lije 3 groove one in .243AI.

Oh he also used it on the Deer last season using 95 Grn Bal Tips with devistating results.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: BrithunterHi All,

Now what is this .243XC? never hear of it or this David Tubb :rolleyes: sorry. I know that the .243AI has a good reputation in match shooting but it also has a reputation for buring throats out which is why my friend Steve has a 3 groove barrel which is supposed to help reduce this throat errosion. It sure shoots well I think it was last year he came in the top three in the Missouri 600 yard bench rest shoot with it. The action is a savage 112 BVS if I remember right it started of as a 22/250 is that skeleton butted synthetic stock and it shot well but the .22 bullets were being blown around a little at 600 yards in both high Power and benchrest hence the re-barrel with the Lije 3 groove one in .243AI.

Oh he also used it on the Deer last season using 95 Grn Bal Tips with devistating results.
Here you go....happy reading!!!
The "original" 6mmX (20-degree shoulder) resulted from chambering a barrel using a .243 Winchester reamer held (stopped) 0.132 inches short of its intended depth. This was done to allow use of a .22-.250 case. The 6mmX sizing die was made by shortening a .243 Winchester die (seating die also) 0.145 inches (additional length was based on varying shellholder heights; this ensured the case could be run fully into the die and attain adequate case shoulder contact). We then took a .22-.250 case and ran it fully into this sizing die and then loaded the rounds and fire-formed the case in the 6mmX chamber. The .22-.250 case neck could initially be expanded using the sizing die provided a tapered (.17 cal. to 6mm [.243 cal.]) Redding expander was installed or that the expander had been modified with a taper.

The 6mmXC (30-degree case shoulder) cartridge came about as a natural progression from shooting the original 6mmX. The 6mmXC has some features which I feel are more desirable compared to the 6mmX. --

1.) The cartridge case body length is 0.023 inches shorter than the 6mmX. This means that 6mmXC chamber reamer now cuts the base of the case closer to the original .22-.250 base diameter.

2.) Shortening the case body also allows for less longitudinal (length) stretching during fire-forming. This will result in the 6mmXC having a greater case life (more firings).

3.) Its 30-degree case shoulder allows less case growth (less trimming required).

I have found that velocities attainable with the 6mmXC are equivalent to those attainable using .243 Winchester. Barrel life is much better than .243 Winchester due to the fact that the XC has about 7 grains less powder capacity.
http://www.davidtubb.com/6mmxc.html
http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/dtac/6mmxc_writeup.html

Now......don't you want one!!!!!;) Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hi sakorick,

Thank you for that I went and had a little read, looked through the articles and adverts as well, now to answer your question :-

"Now......don't you want one!!!!!"

No way Hose, that Tubb 2000 is one of the most godawful looking contraptions I have seen :eek:  it's  bit like the New Walther pre charged Air rifle. that an ugly ungainly looking sucker too :rolleyes: .

Me I like traditional, you have seen some of my rifles so you can guess what I like and prefer. Now the cartridge sounds interesting but then that can be chambered in a proper rifle and not something that looks likt it escaped from the set of Starwars :p However I am just about to start playing about with the 6mm Remington cartridge so I will content with that one for now. Somehow I think that you like the rifle ;)  it's another Parker-Hale 1200, but this time it's the heavy barreled Varmint version, once I get some cases together and some dies I can start to play. As yet I have not fired it :eek:  got a 6x42mm scope on it in a one piece P-H alloy mount so once I get some ammunition I can head for the range :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: