Xmas Gun Choice

Started by knuckledragger, October 07, 2005, 02:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

I bought my wife some pearls for XMas when I was home on leave, so I figure I have credit in the bank for a new muzzleloader for XMas (deferred until when I return).  I have a few questions I need answered before I feed my bride a very specific wishlist.  I have narrowed this down to the following:T/C Hawken, Lyman Deerstalker & Lyman Great Plains.

The T/C hawken gives me doubleset triggers, good sights but is 50 cal only.
The Deerstalker, while cheaper than the other two, looks to have less adjustable sights, has a recoil pad and has both 50 & 54 cal
The Great Plains rifle has double set triggers, adjustable sights, both 50 & 54 cal choices and a variety of twist rates.

As you can tell by my choices, I am not  interested in In- Lines, I like the lines of the traditional sidelocks.  Cost is not an issue (the pearls were more than any of these :D ).

Does anyone have opinions on any of these?

Is there a compelling reason to choose btwn 50 & 54 cal besides the size of the hole on the receiving end?

Are there considerations for choosing the various twist rates in the Lyman Great Plains rifles?

With luck, I could be using my new XMas gun on a hog hunt next spring.  

Thanks guys, KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

RatherBHuntin

That Great Plains rifle is a beauty, and it has everything you need.  The others are just as good I bet, but the Great Plains is the one I want.  Have fun with whatever you get.

Oh, in .54, just cause I have a .50 cal muzzleloader already.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

I would vote for 54, more punch. I started my rifle hunting with a 44 flinter longer back than I care to remember. Along the way the boys that regulate such things decided that was too small and put a minimum of 50 cal on muzzle loaders for taking deer sized game around here. So when I replaced that rifle I went one more up for future safety in size.

Also I am particularly partial to round ball shooting I would go for the slower twist rates to stabilize those 48-72 or so. If you are going to shoot sabots or conical you will need to get some advice on what twist rate is best for those.

Either will be good hog medicine.

Get the bells and whistles you want, you will have this gun for a long time.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Smokepole

Here in Ohio I find the 50 cal prb will take any of the wild game we have available. I shoot the GPR in 50 cal. (flinter)

If your are considering the conicals here is a little math to help you decide on twist rate.

An elongated bullet flying through the air without spinning will be unstable and inaccurate. The longer the bullet is in relation to its diameter, the more spin is
required to stabilize it. How much spin is required? This relationship is xpressed in the Greenhill formula, a simplified verson of which is:

150 x diameter squared divided by bullet length = required spin

Example for a .45 caliber bullet .60 inches long:
150 x .45 x .45 divided by .60 = 50.6 inches

So, for the example bullet, a spin rate of 1:50.6 or faster is required

The formula can also provide us with the maximum bullet length which can be stabilized by a given barrel twist. The formula becomes:

150 x diameter squared divided by twist rate

Example for a .50 caliber barrel of 1:48 twist:
150 x .50 x .50 divided by 48 = .78 inches
The barrel will stabilize a bullet .78 inches long, or shorter.

Just a little rocket science to start the day.

Smokepole

Oldtimer

Lyman Great Plains 54 Cal. will let you go anywhere you want. Since you are looking at a REAL  BLACKPOWDER rifle stay with the patched round ball and FFG powder. Won't be any better, will just make you feel better when you take your game. (Smells better, taste better, a little harder to clean, all the good stuff)

I have shot out three 54 Cal barrels over the last 20 years. One now drilled out to 58 Cal, one drilled to 62 cal smooth bore (20 gauge) and one 62 Cal rifle.

You will like the 54 cal and your pick of rifle.

Good Hunting, there and here
Legends die when dreams end
When dreams end there is no more greatness.

Oldtimer

Stryker

The T/C Hawken and Lyman GPR are both nice rifles. I've been hunting with a T/C Hawken in .50 for the last 25 years and it has dropped everything I have aimed at. My only complaint is the amount of drop in the stock, it was not enough for me which is why I just converted it using the Pecatonica T/C conversion full stock. When My buddy and I got into BP, I had my T/C and he had a CVA St. Louis Hawken in .45 and we were both told by our friends, the "experts", we would never kill a deer with them. They don't tell us that anymore. I was out shooting 2 weeks ago with my "new" T/C, which now sports a .45 barrel and was told by my brother's buddy that I would never kill a deer with it. My brother immediately bet the guy $100 and he took the bet. Whether you go with the .50 or the .54, I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it. And if the deer in eastern NC have not gotten any bigger since I was stationed down there, you'll have no problem at all.

Semper Fi and God Bless,
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

quigleysharps4570

The Lyman GPR gets my vote. Far as twist rate...the hunter barrel has the 1:32 twist supposed to be for the conicals and the saboted bullets. But...my hunter barrel shoots the patched ball as well as the LEE R.E.A.L bullet. BTW...always good to hear of someone that chooses the traditional style rifle. Most I see coming in to it these days are jumping on the "in-line" bandwagon. Good luck to you. Another note...Lyman GPR also comes with a primitive rear sight in case you don't want to use the adjustable one.

knuckledragger

Well, not the brightest bulb on the tree, here but I am seeing a trend and that is the GPR in either 50 or 54 cal.  Thanks guys.  Will there be an appreciable loss in range with the roundball vs the conical?

KD

quigleysharps4570

Not at the range I shoot at.

knuckledragger

What range would that be, Quigly?  I am asuming 75-125m.  I do not have any experience w/ BP, but cant imagine too much better performance than my Mossberg 500 slug barrel.  KD

quigleysharps4570

75-125m? That's long range for me. All of my deer have been shot under 50 yards...average around 20. Been quite some time since I've even shot at a target at 100yds. with mine. If I were shooting at the ranges you mentioned though...I'd have mine loaded up with the REAL bullet. 325gr. REAL vs 175gr. roundball. I like the ole roundball...but that ole REAL bullet sure thumps them. Leaves a blood trail that Ray Charles could see with his cane. :)

knuckledragger

I just looked up the REAL bullet, looks like a real sweetheart.  Stupid question here. I noticed all the moulds for various size balls in the 54 cal range.  How do you slug a bore on a traditional muzzleloader or does it matter becasue you use a patch with the ball? KD

quigleysharps4570

Suppose you could slug one...I've never seen the need. Most get a roundball mold .010 under said bore diameter and go with pillow ticking patch material. Far as conicals...that pure lead is gonna bump up when fired. Jay or someone else thats done it could tell you how to slug one. Guess if I was gonna do it I'd drive a pure lead slug in one with my short starter and pull it back out with a ball puller or blow it out with those CO2 Load Dischargers and mic it.

drinksgin (deceased)

KD;
I have the REAL molds for .45 and .50, 2 of each.
I have tried BHN5 lead, about pure lead, 50-50 mix lead and wws, BHN 8-9, and aircooled wws , BHN13, lube with liquid alox or LBT blue, have had no problems loading the REALs, even after 10-15 shots without cleaning, BUT, I use 777, not BP.
Accuracy was as good as I am, 2 1/2-3" at 50 yds, well inside 6" at 100yds.
I am sure a set of younger eyes and a receiver sight would reduce the groups quite a bit.
I load about the volume equivalent of 80-90 gr FFG, actual weights are from 60 to 70gr of 777.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Stryker

Where I hunt must of my shots are between 50 and 80 yards. I have shot with roundballs past that distance (125 yds) and they still punch thru the 2x4 targets. What I like about BP is you're back to hunting again. You get to hone your stalking skills and try to see how close you can get to the animal before pulling the trigger. That's what gets my blood up.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Tags: