Ritamath

Started by drinksgin (deceased), September 24, 2005, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

We are back, the winds hit about 2am, we lost power at 6:30am, had sustained winds I would guess at 60+, gusts to at least 80, by 10:30 am it started to drop of and by 4pm we saw the sun, also when the power came back on.
Lots of thumb size and smaller limbs down, tons of leaves and 2.5" rain, so far.
No damage to property.
We were about 75 miles west of the center, just on the edge of the wind wall, but being inland about 125 miles Rita had slowed quite a bit, even when it hit the coast, it was only at 120, +-.
Our problems now are minor, the people from Houston and Galveston bought every drop of gas, water, canned meat, bread ,eggs and milk in town, now just have to wait for a restock.
My 25 pounds of sausage is down to about 15lbs, thanks to some help from my sister and her crew, but the rest is safe in the freezer, had breakfast , one lunch and then a supper of sausage, beans and rice out of it, was glad I had something to fix quick.
I intend to order a small generator tomorrow, at least enough for refrigerator, freezer and some lights and fans.
We have had several outages here, just one spring storm had us out 16 hours.
The tall trees did the job, the winds went over us, a friend on a bald hill lost their roof and they are 20 miles west of us.
Till next time, Don;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

buckshot roberts

;) Hey, It's good to know you are all ok, keep check'n in, be safe:)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

Good news I was wondering about you.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Kit

Good it wasn't picking on you personally.  Thanks for the quick update!

Hi to the missus for me!

HeartlandO

Looks like the Lord showed mercy on many people this time around.
 Glad to hear you are alright.

Hang in there....

Kit

Quote from: AlboyGood news I was wondering about you.
Hey I was a'wonderin' about YOU TOO!!!!!

You home yet... or did you post it in another thread?

Gmoney

Don, glad ya'll were okay....it was weird here....we got ZERO rain and maybe sustained winds today of maybe 25MPH......2 days ago the projections had the storm coming right through us.....this town is still out of fuel as of this morning, the stores cannot keep their shelves stocked, and there is zero bottled water anywhere...and then we get zero rain and light wind....guess it is better safe than sorry although there are some furious people around these parts for what they had to deal with getting out of the "path"......but glad you are okay Don and most importantly glad the sausage is okay....:)
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Alboy

Kit

Stayed home the long version is in "RITA". Thanks for checking in.

That fuel thing is going to need some looking at before they call for the next great migration. Routing could use some help also. I need to get to the Hill Country and all those tourists need to get out of my way.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Kit

Quote from: Gmoney...and then we get zero rain and light wind....guess it is better safe than sorry although there are some furious people around these parts for what they had to deal with getting out of the "path"......but glad you are okay Don and most importantly glad the sausage is okay....:)
tee hee on the sausage... yes, we are all rooting for that sausage.  It's going to take on Paul Bunyan proportions soon!!!!

I figure there were/are lots of prayin' folks in TX.   Like think, percent-wise -- not that New Orleans doesn't have prayin' people but Im willing to bet the percentage in Tx is higher.

Just a guess.  It's not in my census data.

Think of all that prayer power shoving the storm over.  Even the -- wasn't it the Houston mayor asking prayer?  Good move.

But then it could be all the hot air...

Even so, I figure it's the non-praying folks who are mad about the 'predictions'.  How come they aren't mad about not being psychic.  Or mad about being spared? hmmmm...

OK, the prayin' folks in my theory are just grateful.  It's a good feeling.

Enjoy the weather.  I added my prayers to The Force for whatever help they might be!
 ;-)

Kit

Quote from: AlboyThat fuel thing is going to need some looking at before they call for the next great migration. Routing could use some help also.

I was thinking of how the school clears an auditorium after a show.  Row by row, and teachers at every juncture to direct traffic.

Good use for the NEA out on the street corners. Call them up & out for the next hurricane.  They are already experienced!

Mark R

Just got back yesterday. I left  Galveston at 1PM Wed. and got to San Antonio at 3AM Thurs. 250 miles in 14 hours. Now that was a pleasant drive. Thank goodness my wife left Tues. evening. I stayed at my brother in laws and was in no hurry toget back on the road so we just sat around the pool and waited for things to clear up. My brother is on the P.D. and had to stay so he kept us posted on power and other conditions. that was quite helpful also had no damage. We were very fortunate this time. I stayed through Alicia in 83 and being without power in this heat is no fun.
marktx

buckshot roberts

;)  Mark, I glad to hear you came out ok,:D , keep us posted.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: