Anyone planted their fall food plot yet?

Started by Gmoney, September 19, 2005, 07:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

We're going to try to plant our fall crop here in about 3 weeks or so....well let me rephrase...the dad and the brother will be and they would love it if I could get over to the place and help them....:)......We've got 120 lbs. each of wheat, oats, and rye grass, and each year we plant an experimental crop...this year it is Monster Mix which I believe is a mix of clover, peas, and some other legume.....In the ground by early October and then wait on some rain....this timing scheme has worked well for us in the past....anyone else prepping for the biggest show on earth?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

Plan on getting at it this weekend in Alabama.  My brothers and cousins were out last week buying seed and lime.  Money was short this year, a drop in members and a rise in the lease rate from the lumber company.  So fertilizer is out this year, and gonna get some lime instead, which apparently it has been needing anyways.  I think they got somem peas, clover and either rye or oats.  Also have had some corn planted, but the crows tend to tear it out the ground before it ever gets going.  Need to have a crow shoot I guess. As far as the rain goes, its pretty dry now, after a summer of drenching rain here.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:)  I'm go to try and do mine friday, got some wildlife mix from the extension office for free.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Highstand

I planted a test strip of Biologic. So far it looks un eaten.

Highstand

RatherBHuntin

Just got back.  Membership was low this year, 19, and the paper company's price went up.  Since funds were low, we stuck with just rye, and some lime instead of fertilzer.  We planted about 2,000 pounds of rye and spread nearly 1500 each of lime and fertilizer.  We got all this spread out over 22 food plots in all.  They range from small 20x20 yard plots to a large 4 acre field.  We got some rain just as the sun started to go down, which was really needed.  We also replaced 5 rotten stands and put up a new one 14 feet high on the edge of the large rye field.  Trimmed trees, cleared lanes and all the other odds and ends that needed done.  Even got to spend some time with my brothers and cousins.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

Man Glenn, 22 food plots!...whereabouts is this honey hole and how much land ya'll have?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

RatherBHuntin

It's near Tuscaloosa, Al.  I think the actual amount of land is 2500 acres, but much of that is impenetrable due to ivy (poisonous and otherwise), briars, thorns and other assorted underbrush which grows on the nearly vertical ridges, and we aren't allowed to cut roads on most of it.  A small portion is owned, and that we can do with as we (my cousin, he owns it) see fit.  The upside is that the deer eat it all up.  My brother showed me a secret spot Saturday that I almost needed a rope to get up out of, but it was a real sweet spot, a funnel to dwarf all other funnels.  And the past few years they have been practicing some QDM, went from any buck is a good buck to 3 points or better, 4 points or better and this year 6 or better.  The rules have also always been that each subsequent buck must have more points than the last.  This is important when you're allowed to take one buck a day.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:D Hey, Ratherbhuntin you got it goin on, that a lot of ground, bet you do good this season, I have used the chufa seed's last two years, done good with it,  I also started put'n  game bird feed, in my feeders, It's the feed guy's give to their fight'n chickens, Turkeys love this stuff;) .
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gmoney

Glenn, the stuff you are describing sounds like a good spot for a real monster.....impenetrable to most humans and thick....bet there is a big boy in there somewhere...good luck this year....G
-Greg

Arkie55

We planted Imperial Whitetail Clover about 6 years ago.  Up until that time, we were planting wheat, rye, oats, ect.... every year.  The Imperial Whitetail has saved us money over the long haul and has done what they advertise it to do.  We live and hunt in northeast Arkansas in the Ozarks.  We have some good deer but antler mass is not real heavy.  The clover has improved the antler mass and our deer are much more healthy looking and fatter than they were before we planted the clover.  We'll be replanting the plots next year.  We only have 600 acers and four plots.

Antler3

Anyone ever heard of  planting turnips for the deer. My stepfather belongs to a hunting club down in Southern Arkansas. They had biologic and turnips planted....the deer prefered the turnip greens. Also they will paw the turnips themselves up and eat them after the greens have died back. Just something he observed, and thought I'd pass along. Good luck this year everyone !
ANTLER 3

Gmoney

I've heard of turnips but never planted any....
-Greg

Highstand

Anyone up north? I planted a little Biologic and it is doing good. Wondering what others are planting.

Highstand

Tags: