Binocular repair

Started by John Galt, September 07, 2005, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Galt

My three year old (debating whther to let him see four) dropped a pair of binoculars about 3' onto a wooden deck.  When I look thru the binocs, I get double vision.

Is this repairable?  How much you reckon it would cost, so I can decide whether to fix or toss?  They are a pair of Stellar 7X35's.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Sorry John...I used to have an address for repairing old Weaver optics.  They wanted $80 for a rebuild on old steel scopes.  For the price I see some binoculars in the stores, I cannot imagine that it would pay to have them fixed.

I wonder what an old time camera store would be able to do if the owner was equally as old fashioned and used to tinkering with optics?

gitano

You may be able to fix them yourself IF you can't find a pro to do it for a reasonable price. The problem is that the two axis are out of alignment. You may be able to straighten them in a vice. I wouldn't attempt this until I had exhausted the "pro" option.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi All,

I had this happen to a cheap pair of binoculars, my first ones actually but they had a 10 year guanentee so I just took them back and they changed them. My problem was a prism came loose inside when I dropped them.
Go Get them Floyd!

deadeye2

John, I have used this place four or fivee times for Redfield repairs and they do good work. I would call them and find out if they can do your repair and if so , how much would it cost.

ABO USA, Inc., 2653 NW 20th Street, Miama, FL, 305+859-2010
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

tussock

My little brother has wrecked three sets of my binoculars. Two were the little cheap ones they give away with stuff that I let him play with. I took him on his first hunting trip and he accidentally knocked my old but very nice binoculars out the door of my truck. These things happen. Same problem as you though. The prisms knock out easily. If you are thinking of throwing them away you may as well have a go yourself. There is usually a little glue at the corners of the prisms that will help you to line them up again.

Tags: