Creating a new 303 wildcat

Started by kombi1976, August 29, 2005, 06:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

For a little while I've been contemplating the fact that the action I often want to use for a particular cartridge isn't suitable.
Or, more often, the action I like doesn't have a suitable cartridge in the cal/performance combination I want.
As such a friend and I have begun to get silly ideas.
All I'll say is that it'll be a 303 Improved case necked up to a big bore cal.
What I want to know is how do I get the necessary reamer and dies for such a cartridge?
The brass would be fairly easy to form.....just neck it up and then fireform it.
But actually chambering the rifle is the catch.
Who makes the reamers?
What details would I have to send them in order to get the needed item?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Amigo!

Ohhhh nooooooo! Another good feller has fallen into the "experimenter" abyss!
Ol' Paul and I welcome you to the "League of the Bewildered & Befuddled"!

I would suggest your first attempt should be thru the following ....

.......... www.pacifictoolandgauge.com ........ Dave Kiff is the guy to discuss things with at PTG. I have had several reamers made by PTG and they are first class in all respects.

What you need to do first is to make up a dummy round with the cartridge case of choice( .303 for you), neck it up to whatever caliber you want with the bullet of your choice seated to the depth you want. When Paul and I were designing the 338x57 MAI, I used the 8mm Mauser case, necked it to .338 and seated the 200 grain Nosler CT/BST to the junction of the shoulder and neck. I sent this dummy round to the reamer maker with instructions that I wanted the Ackley Improved version of this dummy cartridge. That was all that was necessary on my part...they did the rest.

If you want -- send me an e-mail to this address... hondojohn@lefthandcreek.com with the particulars on the case, bullet and overall length and I will do a preliminary load development for you using the LOAD FROM A DISC program I used for the development of the 338 MAI.

Again...............welcome to the "LEAGUE OF THE BEWILDERED & BEFUDDLED" but we are reasonably harmless and not very well organized....:confused: :D :confused: :D :confused: ;)

Ol' John...:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

Ol Hondo undoubtedly has the best solution...but just to stir the pot...:D

drinksgin (deceased)

Kombi;
It may have been before the last crash, but I recall some OZies working on the .303Brit, they were going to 9.3mm, .375 and .405 sizes.
There was mention of getting the reamers done in OZ, so there seems to be a shop that does both reamers and reboreing of barrels some where there.
You might ask around in the Shooters Assn.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

CAfrica

Kombi,

Not that I would ever want to talk some-one out of such a nice project, but if you're looking for a large calibre on the 303 action, have you considered the 45-70?

On the old forum there was a thread about this.  Some-one in USA does these conversions commercially.  The option also has historical significance.  When the Enfield action was first developed, it was chambered in 45-70 and sent to the US military for evaluation. They didn't go for it (more's the pity).

This would not be a long range option, but then one rarely needs a long range shot with a heavy calibre and this old war horse is a real thumper.

Have fun.

C

Jay Edward (deceased)

C is right kombi...here is the website: http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html

The site says they are 'sold out' but surely someone must still be making them.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

That steel buttplate ought to be real effective on your shoulder....ouch!:mad: :(

I know! I know! I am a real "wuss" when it comes to recoil....and I don't intend to change.:D

Ol' John:cool: ;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

CAfrica

Funny thing about that John, I also don't like recoil (regard my 30-06 as a rifle with too much recoil), and yet I just love a steel buttplate (or at least anything that is not rubber or plastic).

I have a project in mind, to fit something different to the shoulder stock of one of my rifles.  I have organised for some Giraffe bones, I know people make knife handles out of them and it will be big enough so I can get a piece to make a buttplate.
On the other hand I don't like fancy fore-end tips but I reckon that Giraffe bone would also work nicely for those who do like them.

Regards.

C

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

C,

For the most part I couldn't agree with you more.  I prefer fore-end tips of ebony, rosewood or different walnut...........but!  Jay has done some nice stuff with bone and ivory(?) or other very light colored wood of some type which looks pretty nice.  I like a "working man's" rifle with few, if any, fancy "geegaws"-----in other words -- nice checkering and nice wood.  If the particular piece of wood has nice color or graining or "fiddle-back" or "flame grain" or good "crotch" wood, IMHO it deserves some nice wood for a grip cap or a fore-end tip.  A good straight grained black walnut with no figure looks mighty nice with no extra "gee-gaws" attached.  A good recoil pad if its 280 Remington or bigger/badder caliber.  For most game....a good 7mm Mauser will do all thats necessary in the hands of a skilled shooter/hunter.  The "KISS" principle still applies to everything dealing with firearms and ammo!  Thats the way I see it anyhow.  Everything else is "fluff & feathers" and when you get right down to it...........fluff & feathers is OK too...just depends on what tickles your fancy........but make mine simple!  AS MY BELOVED HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER OF YEARS AGO USED TO SAY...."SIMPLE THINGS AMUSE SIMPLE MINDS!"   That pretty well sums it up for this ol' country boy!  Yeah, I know.....I like fresh blue berries and juice on my cheesecake, but I won' turn down just plain cheesecake either!  Observations from 62 years of living...works for me but may not be what works for you!

Ol' John....:D :) :cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Well SHOOT!

To get back to Kombi's original musing...........I think the .303 necked up to .338 and minimum body taper and a 35* degree shoulder would be wonderful.  Occasionally you have feeding problems with the Ackley 40* shoulder but I have not heard of any feeding problems with the 35* shoulder.  If any ones knows different, please enlighten me.........greatly appreciated.

Ol' John...:confused: ;) :D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Jay Edward (deceased)

Maybe...?

HSM_miner

How about an old .303 wildcat?  For example the .303 Epps Improved?  Here is some information on it: http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/Improved_Cases.htm ; http://www.303british.com/ .  Oh , by the way Mr. Ellwood Epps is still in buisiness here in Ontario: http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

kombi1976

Quote from: HSM_minerHow about an old .303 wildcat? For example the .303 Epps Improved? Here is some information on it: http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/Improved_Cases.htm ; http://www.303british.com/ . Oh , by the way Mr. Ellwood Epps is still in buisiness here in Ontario: http://www.ellwoodepps.com/
I'm aware of the venerable .303 Epps but I already own an 8x57 so it's a little pointless, at least in terms of filling the gaps between cals in my rifle collection.
Ultimately the idea is that the wildcat would give me more options rather than have more rifles sitting around that 30 cal area.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

kombi,

Here is a wildcat from the cartridge file of "Load from A Disc" program. Looks like an Improved cartridge -- maybe an Ackley -- can't determine shoulder angle.

338-303..........well, food for thought anyway!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Tags: