best catridge for hunting deer and elk

Started by agent00, August 06, 2005, 10:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent00

Hi, its me again, and at the moment I am saving money for a new centerfire rifle for hunting deer and elk. I am a newbie in hunting and what caliber would you recomend  for hunting deer and elk, and I would be pleased hearing a few bullet type tipps for deer and elk.

M1Garand

There are probably at least two dozen rounds that would fit the bill fine, however some are much more popular than others. My personal opinion is that unless you're an experienced hunter/shooter and with elk in the mix, I'd say the minimum caliber to go with is a .270 or .308 Win. I know some of the guys on here will say the .243 works well but IMO, they are experienced hunters and know their and the rounds limitations. Other calibers that may work well are the 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. There are many others but these four are very common and would work great within most hunting ranges.  

For deer, any decent PSP bullet will work, you don't have to spend $35 on a box of Swift A-Frames. The Remington Core Lokt, Winchester Powerpoint and Federals Power Shok rounds will work well and only cost you maybe $15 a box. Find out what shoots well in your rifle and go with it.

For elk, I'll admit I've never shot one and maybe someone who has will throw in their 2 cents, but they are a lot bigger and tougher than deer. You can't go wrong with the Nosler Partition, Accubond, Rem Ultra Core-Lokt, and a host of other quality bullets. If any of the rounds shoots well in your rifle, place your shots well and you could use that bullet for both.

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Hunterbug

If I could only have one cartrige it would have to be something powerfull enough for me to shoot myself. ;) But if I could only have one for deer and elk hunting I would go with the 30-06 which I did for years.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

m gardner

sakorick

I'll go with what everyone said....especially Hunterbug. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

For the non-handloader, the .280 Remington is one more caliber I would add to the above recommendations.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Big Red Trike

.308 Winchester for an inexperienced hunter and shooter....very managable recoil levels. easy to find over the counter ammo...for the non reloader.

It was my 1st......

Lee

Brithunter

Hi all,

Now I am some what surprised that our Gitano did not suggest the 8mm Mauser as I know he is extremly fond of this cartridge and it's also very effective on large game as Hunterbug can attest. I understand that even commercial ammunition in 8x57mm is getting easier to get in the US now too!
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Brit;
The real shocker was that John did not recommend the 6.5-08 or 6.5-06, wonders will never cease!
Don ;D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

QuoteI am a newbie in hunting
Is the primary reason. HUNTING - and having the hunting be as uncomplicated as possible is important for self-proclaimed "newbies". The 8x57 isn't "uncomplicated" in the U.S. I'm more interested in "making" a new HUNTER than I am in making a new shooter. It is my opinion that "getting the game" is crucial to nurturing the innate hunter. Whatever complicates or detracts from that nurturing is counter-productive in my opinion.

Besides, M1 mentioned the .308 Win as one of the top two. Why would I want to dilute the 'purity' of that suggestion. :D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I agree with gitano 100% on the reason for not recomending the 8X57. Now as a second or third round............
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: drinksginBrit;
The real shocker was that John did not recommend the 6.5-08 or 6.5-06, wonders will never cease!
Don ;D
Don,

Only reason for not recommending my beloved 6.5's is what Gitano said and which I agree completely.  Now when he gets a few deer and an elk or two and wants to move to a REAL cartridge....then we can talk 6.5 Swede, 6.5-06 or the great 6.5x55 BJAI.  One step at a time........Oh yeah, when he gets to reloading we can talk 8x57 Mauser or the Ackley Improved version.  In the near future I will have two 8x57 Mauser AI's and 1 8x57 ready to bring home the venison.

I am easy!

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

As OO claims to be from Austria, 8x57, 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 would seem to be a natural.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: