An Entomologist's Delight - The Taurus Combo

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 22, 2004, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

These look to be some interesting handguns and I'd dearly love a report on all three.

rockinbbar

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

.........................EAR-GER-SPLITTEN'-LOUDUN- BOOMERS-ALL...............................

as I retreat to the back rows of the firing line.............Jay...are you becoming a sadist??????

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Daryl (deceased)

I wonder, for all the extra crack and noice, if there's really enough velocity gain to make them any more effective than say, a .38 special?

'Course, they'd be fun target pistols!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

CAfrica

Our local shooting magazine ran a report on the Raging Hornet more than 4 years ago.  I checked the article yesterday evening.

Basic statistics are:

10" bbl  (16.5" overall length)
2.5lbs weight
8 rounds in the cylinder

The frame is the same as the Raging bull (454 Casull) and this handgun is capable of handling full power rifle loads  (the 22 Hornet has high pressure levels).

Muzzle velocity with the 45gr Winchester SP was a touch over 2000ft/s. Compared to factory claimed ballistics, this appears low but the factory ballistics are very optimistic.  In my 24" Hornet, the Winchesters produce only 2270ft/s. Handloading should produce another 200ft/s or so.

Between shot variances of Muzzle velocity were very high. I do not find this surprising, basically you are comparing 8 different chambers to each other and variances in BBL Cylinder gaps will tell.  Az is right though, muzzle blast is extreme and it is not recommended that you fire this monster without wearing hearing protection. Obviously with all that weight, recoil is not a factor.

I would say that fitted with a scope this would be a lovely varmint number out to about 120 yards. Just get a holster that doesn't hang too low or the bbl will drag in the dirt.

A real fun piece I would say.

C

Tags: