Safety preferences on rifles

Started by m gardner, July 13, 2005, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m gardner

I do unusual things like learn to shoot all my weapons with either hand. I'm right eyed so I buy right handed firearms. Am I the only one or are the safeties on most right handed rifles made to better accomodate left handed shooters? When I snap the model 700 or a model 70 or a new ruger or the weatherby to my shoulder left handed, the safety is pushed off as my thumb wraps around the grip in a very natural manner and seems quicker than when I do it right handed and have to change sides to get a grip on the stock. The old rugers with the tang safety were the best. It was under your thumb and fast. I think most manufactuers have it wrong. What do you think? God bless and good shooting.
                                            Mark

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

3 position tang safety is my preference.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoI agree.

Paul
FWIW, that makes two of us!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

I agree. I have a tang safety Ruger and it's nice. I also have a Mauser with the Buehler safety that's on the left side of the rifle and it's better than the ones on the right side.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Mark R

Maybe they put them there so you don't bump them with your thumb when you wrap your hand around. That's the only reason Ican think of because it would be more accesable on the other side.
marktx

m gardner

I think they put them there because the second guy copied the first guy's idea. Then the third guy copied the second guy's idea and eventually it was an accepted concept that should have never been. It happens alot where I work. Asking for an explaination usually causes an adult to throw a tantrum and blurt out "that's just how it's done!" Or maybe not. God bless and good shooting.
                                     Mark

Tags: