Previous topic - Next topic

Worth it?

ea
10 (90.9%)
ah
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Lost Hunta

Is this gun worth the very attractive price? MRSP is like $330 (guess) but most stores sell em' for under $300 usually.
heres a photo
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

I think its a nice looking rifle.  For $300 if it shoots even half decent its worth it.  later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Jay Edward (deceased)

H&R has a good rep...I know a couple of local hunters that use it in .243 and just love 'em.

rockinbbar

I voted nay....

If I had about $300 bucks, & was out to buy a single shot rifle, I would definately throw it Mossberg's way for the SSI....
Good finish, classic looks, walnut stocks, all the popular calibers, interchangable barrels....
It is also about the same money....

NEF makes a good, simple rifle, but, if I had bought one, & saw the SSI for he same money, I would slap myself.....LOL.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Lost Hunta

I went to Mossberg's site and the price is like $440 giv or take. thts like $200 more than H&R.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

I don't know where they get the MSRP on the website....??

I saw a Mossberg SSi in the varmint configuration at a local gunshop.....It was $298....
I know the dealer is making $$ at that price, or he couldn't stay in business.

Rockinbbar

Lost Hunta

I don't lie about tht. I know dealers will take off around $100 from the MRSP but thts still well over the H&R Hunter. If you didn't see for yourself here http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/modelSSi.htmAnd heres a Froogle result the .308 which is what i'll only get is like..well here
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=SSi-ONE%20SPORTER%20RIFLES%20%20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wf
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

I never thought for a second that you were pulling my lag....LOL.
I just don't understand why they put the price so high on their website....

They are all the same dealer cost. It is just a matter of how much money the dealer wants to make.

Alot of times, they start out high, for an over-allowace if you have a trade-in. If you pay cash, the price can go down considerably.
Even the extra barrels on the Mossberg site are MSRP'd at $240.....You acn buy them for under $150....

The Varmint .223 I saw was new for $298....MSRP on the same gun at the Mossberg site is $505......So, you  gotta figure msrp has about $250 dealer profit rolled into the price. Dealers usually like at least $50 bucks profit on a new gun, so, that is  a good indicator of actual price.

Rockin'

Lost Hunta

Well now i can't decide between the H&R Survivor .308 Hvy Brl. or the Ultra Hunter .308. the Survior is considerably less by about $100 less

NEF/H&R Survivor ($199.00!!!!!! .223 but price between calibers is none)

NEF/H&R Ultra (again price is universal between centerfire cals.)$279.00
(both prices were off of Gunsamerica.com but both were new from gunstores
"Cari" my M4 carbine

M1Garand

I bought an H & R single shot 20 gauge about 20 years ago for $60 and it still works great and I use it for rabbit hunting.  It looks similar to mine except it's a rifle.  If it shoots half way decent I'd say it's a good buy.

Lost Hunta

I really wish i could try bofore i buy. Don't you?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaWell now i can't decide between the H&R Survivor .308 Hvy Brl. or the Ultra Hunter .308. the Survior is considerably less by about $100 less

NEF/H&R Survivor ($199.00!!!!!! .223 but price between calibers is none)

NEF/H&R Ultra (again price is universal between centerfire cals.)$279.00
(both prices were off of Gunsamerica.com but both were new from gunstores
I went with the H&R Survivor in .308 with the heavy barrel and I love it. I picked up 160 rounds of Aussie .308 surplus for about $45.00. Makes it about .28 cents a round. Hard to beat and fun to shoot.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Lost Hunta

What kind of 100yrd groups? with surplus and factory.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

teddy12b

Congrats on your purchase!!!  I'm sure you love it!  I have a H & R synthetic handi rifle in 30-06 and it is awesome.  As far as those mossbergs go......  Why buy an ugly gun, that was built poorly?  Everytime I've ever held a mossberg I just don't feel confident in their quality.  I've sure some guys love them and swear by a mossbergs accuracy, but come on.  Those SSi's are about the ugliest looking rifles I've seen, but to each their own.  My H&R makes me very proud and almost arrogant at the range.  It's such a simple, reliable, well built rifle that I always feel confident with it.  I will be taking mine to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan in a few weeks and I'll be able to count on it's accuracy and consistency while I'm up there.  

I can't say enough about H&R.  I love mine!

Lost Hunta

i definently will be buyin one now. but i just need $$ and wether or not to get the Survior or Ultra Hunter. I like the heavy barrel of the survivor.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Tags: