Standard Cartridge Series - 6.5-284 Norma

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 21, 2004, 09:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I am totaly unfamiliar with this cartridge and have included it because it was listed in COTW.  It says that it is 'long time popular' but I've never known anyone who has used it.  How about you?

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

A cartridge that I can not get any excitement over......and me the 6.5 fanatic that I am..........Competitions shooters seem to love it.........OK!  Whatever tweaks you guitar strings or whatever............

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

kombi1976

It does seem to be a bit superfluous. The .264 Mag covers this ground more or less and so bench rest does appear to be the main arena for the 6.5-284. My personal opinion is that the 6.5x55 Swede does everything a 6.5 cartridge needs to.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

oneshot

O.K. I have one, built it as a varmiter. I figured if it was good enough for bench rest...........
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

oldelkhunter

The 6.5x284 gives you 30-06 case capacity in a round that is shorter and allows seating out the
140 grain bullets correctly and still be able to use a 30-06 length action.  If you put it on a short
action then you have lost the ability to seat bullets without intruding into the powder space.
What the heck else are you going to do with 284 Winchester brass????  

Old Elk Hunter

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: oneshotO.K. I have one, built it as a varmiter. I figured if it was good enough for bench rest...........
Good choice for the reason you gave, oneshot!  The 6.5/284 comes under the heading of a definite "specialized" cartridge.  The highpower competitors love it, the LR benchresters are doing exceptionally well with it.  As a medium-long range varminter it should be superb.

Because I don't get excited about it doesn't mean its not a good cartridge.  It just doesn't fit into my scheme of things but I may change my mind!

oneshot, don't leave us wondering....pics, velocities, bullet choices...yada, yada, yada!!
I would definitely be interested in your results and observations.

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

oneshot

The pics may have to wait until I get a camera that is compatible with windows XP.  As for the rest of it, I have yet to Scope it. Bullet choice will be a 100Gr Sierra.  I will let you know what powder charge shoots best.  Velocity is nice but accuracy is leathal, so whatever velocity is most consistant is the one I will be using.  I had it built with a 26" beavy contour barrel.  The stock is glass-bedded walnut with rosewood tips and all brought together with a Mauser 98 action.  As for a scope I am seriously considering a Simmons Atec somwhere in the 4-12 power or a nifty little Burris I stumbled across.   We will have to see what the budget will allow.
It will all come out in the wash...I hope.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

oneshot,

There is a lot of similairty in the rifle you are building and the one that I have just about finished.  May I suggest the Simmons Aetec 3.8x12x44 PA as this is the scope that is going on mine.  The Sierra 100 HP is an outstanding bullet choice, very accurate!  I have been using that bullet in various rifles since the 1960's.  The Hornaday 95gr VMAX has a higher BC and is slated for testing along with the Sierra 85gr and the 90gr Speer TNT.  So many bullets and only one gun......I think you have got a winner there!  It is going to be interesting comparing velocities, etc.

Best regards,

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

Tags: