Winchester 777

Started by Hunterbug, July 02, 2005, 10:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

I was looking at the Cabelas gun vault when I saw that they have a Winchester 777 in 30-06. It looks alot like a Browning A-Bolt to me which I really don't care for. And they want more money than I would pay for any Winchester made after 1964. Here's a link for thoes that are interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/kansas_city/winchester/340790_win777_kc.jhtml
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hmmm for some reason that does not look like an American made rifle, the stock shape reminds be far more of German made rifles. I am thinking that that rifle is either a Heym of Krico. Only wish I could remember which of the Austro german rifles had those holes down the bolt!
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

Actually I belive that they were made in Japan mostly for sale outside the U.S. CAfrica knows quite a bit about them.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

I had asked this same question some time back and also in some of the other forums.  I have an acquaintance here in Hondo that has 4 of them to sell.  From a response in another forum this is the best info I have been able to gather.

A German sporting goods firm by the name of Edward Kent contracted with Winchester to produce a rifle by the name of Mistrial 7000.  Unsure of what took place at a later point in time but Winchester sub-contracted with Nikko of Japan to produce the rifles under the Winchester name as the Model 777.  These rifles were to be marketed in Asia, Europe and Australia only.  Calibers included the .270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum and the 300 Winchester Magnum.  Approximately 1000 of the Model 777 were manufactured.  The fellow has 4 of these Model 777's, 270, 30-06, 7mm Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum, unfired for sale.  I would think that these rifles would possibly appeal to some Winchester collectors but that is just a guess.  If anyone has any additional info they would like to share, please do so.

Ol' John..:confused:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Hunterbug

John, when we were covering these in the old forum there was a guy that had sold on and when I asked him for info he offered to buy one if I had it. Unfortunately I do not remember the contact info. But with this one going for 2500.00 that should give your friend a good idea of the value of his rifles.

Niccolo Machiavelli

CAfrica

We covered this in some detail on the old forum and on a different thread on this one.

Just for information, the action is a rear locking one, something of which I have never been a great supporter.

Those prices are a bit steep.  I wouldn't fork out that much for it, but then I'm not a collector either.

Regards.

C

nineseventy

Some recent sleuthing here and elsewhere and a "confident guess" from a reliable source lead me to conclude that the Winchester 777 and Nikko Golden Express 7000 may be one and the same. Any differences are in the stock shape and form, engraving and, of course, markings but there may be others.

It would therefore be interesting if someone with acess to one of each in similar calibres could confirm whether the actions and barrels have similar dimensions and if the stocks are interchangeble.

As for 777 values, one could perhaps start with the GE7000 and adjust accordingly? I concur that $2500 is probably well off the mark although I have seen two advertised in Denmark around that figure which is more to do with European pricing (typically, double the dollars then convert) than intrinsic value. My guess is that they will still be there in a year's time.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Hmmm Old John I wonder if it was Edward Kettner they were thinking of. This is a chain of sporting stores in Europe that has gunsmithing facilities and has rifles made to it's specs.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: