Distance Your Sight Your Rifle?

Started by 147 Grain, June 15, 2005, 12:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

147 Grain

I live in the open range areas in Utah and would like to know what distance you sight your rifles in (for)?

Steve

P.S. Do you suggest 200 yards for a 30-06 180-gr. AccuBond at 2,750 fps and hold over for longer distances or go for 300 yards right off the bat?

For 200 yards using the above load, bullet is only 1.8" high at my altitude of 4,500' above sea level.

* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Daryl (deceased)

My centerfire rifles are pretty much all sighted in for 200 yards...the bolt actions, anyway.  

That's the way I've always done it, and I'm used to judging my shots from that sight in.  Whatever you do for a sight in, just be sure to do some shooting and make sure that you're familiar with it.  How you sight in is a start, and then you have to shoot enough to make sure you can put the bullet where you want it at all ranges you might shoot at.

Good luck!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

m gardner

Steve; I've tried alot of different ways to sight in. Three inches high at 100 yards, dead on at 300, dead on at 100. But on at 200 has been the best because I don't tend to shoot over my target as often. Like Azkiote said practice alot. Practice shooting at rocks at unknown distances. It'll help in judging distance. One dirty little trick I use is to shoot in the field well before the season starts in places I'm apt to see an animal during the season. God bless and good shooting.

Mark

147 Grain

Thanks Mark:

I too believe the average hunter is prone to shoot high in the field, as well as OVERestimate the distance to targert.

200 yards sounds about right, which is 1.8" high for a 30-06 at 100 yards.
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

onan1958

If a person is limited to a local public range they need to find out the ballistics of their bullet and site their rifle to shoot at 50yds where the table says it should be. If they have a range out to 1000 yds like I do then they can pick their distance. I usually mount my riflescopes with the rear 4 thousands of an inch higher than the front. this makes very little difference at close ranges but adds a two inch drop for every hundred yards of bullet travel. I initially sight in at 50 yds then check 100 then 200 and so on . In general if you are dead centered at 200 yds the bullet will be no higher or lower than 4 inches out to 400 yds, dropping to -18 or so at 500yds with most standard velocity 30 cal rifles.

Tags: