Top Ten List!!! Maybe a few more.....

Started by Gmoney, June 05, 2005, 05:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

I will be taking my once-every-year-or-two fishing trip to Colorado here in a month in a half and figured I'd start a thread on it.....Me and some buddies will be backpacking while fishing and then camping out wherever we end up for the night.....we'll do this for around a week.....so the question.....everything we will take will need to be carried on our backs.....what are the bare essentials ya'll would take with you...I've got a list already but would like to here what ya'll would take....this must include bedding, food, water, survival kits....etc.....thanks ya'll....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Dragonfly

Toilet paper, washcloths, towels, camping shovel, soap, make yourself a bed roll with out using a sleeping bag (much more neatly packed and can hold your linens and much lighter).  MATCHES!!! The old wooden matches.
Hummm...let's see what else is a necessity????
Buy the dried meals..those things are pretty good.  Water...carry a couple of canteens for your meals and drinking.  Then when you come to a spring you can refill.  Always keep one canteen filled for each of you.

Enjoy your trip!!!! Sounds great to me..:)

Kit

Quote from: Dragonfly>... make yourself a bed roll with out using a sleeping bag (much more neatly packed and can hold your linens and much lighter). ...<
OK, a question -- what do you use that's lighter than a down bag?  (And don't your toes get cold?

Speaking of which -- wool socks

Compass, of course; reflective 'emergency' blanket; and knowledge to make a bow :D

I bring potable water drops in case I'm not feeling the best about the available water.
  ~Kit

Hunterbug

1. backpack :p

2. sleeping pad

3. sleeping bag

4. tent or bivy sack

5. matches in water proof container

6. flashlight

7. my "something's gone wrong kit" tylenol, bandaids, tampon, bandage, spare matches, small knife, etc.

8. sunscreen SPF45 or better

9. change of clothes including 2 pairs of socks in water proof bag

10. 10yds of paracord

11. knife

12. cooking stuff

13. fleece jacket

14. rain gear

15. 2 1qt water bottles

16. water filter

17. pair of compact binoculars

18. compass and map to compliment my superior inate sence of direction ;)

19. fishing gear

20. food, roman noodles, instant oatmeal, power bars, pemican, jerky, etc.

I'm sure that there are somethings that I left off but with this I would be good to go. I didn't list the things that I don't leave home without like sunglasses and hat. Also, knowing some of the edible plants makes life easier. There are lots of wild onions in Colorado as well as cat tails and other things that can spice up a meal. And take a camera and several rolls of film so we can see pics.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

All I would add are , a folding shovel and one of the 7 or 8" folding pruning saws available at garden centers.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Gmoney

Those are some pretty good lists......HBUG I got a question for ya.....What are the firearm laws for Nat forests? and are the week long out of state fishing liscenses still affordable?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

I'll try not to repeat the items already mentioned, but...

Don't forget the Deet. The bugs can get thick with the rains that summer invariably brings (oh, and don't forget a poncho), and that west nile is nothing to mess with in the back country. There's also ticks and chiggers to deal with.

I'd also bring an easy to carry firearm of some kind. You can carry legally in Colorado in the open, so a handgun might come in handy. Don't leave home without it. :)

Might want to stick a GPS in if you're going to travel in the back country.

I'd also stick a light jacket in. It can get cold at night in the high country, and you might get wet and need something extra to keep warm.

Candy bars can give a lift if you're worn out and tired. Trail mix is also good.

Might want to bring a magnesium fire starter, and know how to use it.

Make sure you have at least one good knife.

Light weight rope can be awfully handy. You might also stick a small, lightweight tarp in. Remember the rain.

Mole skin is good to have if you get blisters.

This goes without mentioning for me, cuz I always have one on, but bring a hat.

I'm sure I've also missed some stuff, but these are some items that I didn't notice above.

Most of all, have fun! :)

Daryl

Oh, and take a couple or three trash bags with you; the big ones.  They'll come in more handy than you think!
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

m gardner

I always carry silk or lightweight polypro underwear. It weighs little and is quite warm and the bottoms will save chaffed legs. A small bottle of medicated powder helps too. Soap to wash your socks and undies will help keep blisters and chaffing to a minimum. I use Thorlo socks exclusively ( prepare them according to the directions ) They give less blisters. I know I ran half marathons for a long time in them. Check the weather it's alot colder so far this year. The lakes on the Grand Mesa are still frozen and it snowed at 9000 feet last weekend. God bless and good hiking.

Gmoney

M Gardner - funny you should mention the snow.....we were going to go last week but it was snowing where we were going to go......

Az- so I can legally carry a sidearm in sight in the Nat. Forest?....good....

I will also be carrying a small burner for heating a small pot.....it folds up and takes up little space....burns on a small bottle of fuel.....

We'll do our cooking in the coals and on this burner.....
-Greg

Hunterbug

You can legally carry on national forest as long as it's not concealed. I belive that the license is still 18.25 for a 5 day license and 40 for the season. As fo rsnow, it can snow at any time in Colorado, you never know.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Smokepole

Something I would never leave without: "camera and lots of film", flashlight and spare batteries for both, possibly a spare bulb. Also might consider a journal.

If someone wears glasses, consider a repair kit, they are small.

Each person could stuff a "new" but different magazine in their pack, need something if it rains.

Just a tip for camera use: when taking pictures don't be afraid to use the camera "fill flash" even in the daytime. It will remove lots of shadows, especially on people's faces. It won't over-power the sun so only the shadows go away.

And the last and most important: "Meeeeeeeeeeeee"!!!!!!:D

Have a great time.
Smokepole

denns25

Tags: