Youth Deer Rifle

Started by RatherBHuntin, May 25, 2005, 03:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

I've been lookin around at various cartridges and rifles, trying to find the right combination for my 5'4", 140 lb son.  He is destined to be a rather large man someday, and I need to get him a rifle this year for deer season in Alabama. Also want it chambered in a respectable sized cartridge that can grow with him.  

Original thought was .243, but then I was looking at ballistics and thought it kind of maxed out a little slower and lighter than I wanted.  Next thought was 7mm-08, could load it light to heavy as he gets bigger and more comfortable with it.  I don't see him needing a more powerful rifle than that in his near future(until he has to buy his own guns).  Those two would be in a nice short action, most I would need is to replace the youth synthetic stock he is going to get with a fullsize wood stock later on.

Last thought was getting him a .270, in a youth model.  Good selection of bullets, common cartridge.  Then I compared the ballsitics between the 7mm-08 and the .270, and they are almost identical.  The 7-08 will be have just a hair more arc to it, but it will also create just a touch bigger wound channel. Seems to be a few more bullets made for the 7-08 as well.  But the trump card is the action, SHORT combined with the revelation that he doesn't need more than a 20" barrel.  I think this puts the 7mm-08 clearly in the lead.  I can get him in a 38 1/4" rifle, at about 7 pounds and can handload mild, light loads and progress up as needed/wanted.

Thoughts?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

RBH,

I really like your thought process...........sounds like a good plan to me!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Gmoney

Glenn, I would go with the 25-06, .260 or the 7-08......all three can "grow" with the man and will continue to knock down a deer from far away.....all three can be handloaded and are perfect deer cartridges IMOP..........for a short action though I LOVE my .260 REM with 120  Nosler BT's....from Savage....very lightweight and very soft on the shoulder.....let us know what you decide.....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

M1Garand

Glen,
To my knowledge, there are no youth model offerings in .270 Win or any of the other long actions such as 25-06.  I'd say the 7-08 is a great choice as is the 260 Rem or the 308 Win.  My brother bought a Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter in 308 and it is a really nice rifle.  Recoil might be a tad heavy on him til he grows into it depending how old he is now.  Again, 7-08 is a great choice also, I know a guy who has one who is about 6'1" and built like a fireplug and he loves his 7-08 and can't say enough about it.

RatherBHuntin

Greg,
 Funny you mention those two.  They were on the short list, just didn't make it to the very short list.  Remington makes a nice little .260 youth model with a wood stock.  My sister-in-law has one, I've shot it and like it.  I'll let my boy take it for a spin next month.  The 25-06 was also considered, but I just haven't seen may of them.  And a small package would be even harder to find.  

I haven't looked at .257 or 6.5x55, though they are about as hard to find as a 25-06 I think, in a youth model.  All are excellent cartridges for what I am looking, the hard part is finding them in a youth rifle.  Looks like it is back to the books and online, I need to check a few more things.  It would not be out of the question to buy a rifle with a full stock, and buy a youth replacement stock as well, swap them out for a few years and then switch them back.  Especially since I intend to start him with synthetic and then wood later.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Kanibal

If I were you I would look into a nice Remington Model 7 or even better a Mountain Rifle.  Many full grown men use Remington Mountain Rifles and they even fit me well and I am 6'2".  Also a Winchester Featherweight would be good.  Depends on what rifle brand you like?  7mm-08 would be my choice as I really like 7mm bullets.  There is quite a large choice.  Good luck in your decision.
-Richard

RatherBHuntin

yup, Remington is leading the race currently, though if I find a used Ruger M77 Mark II Compact, all bets are off.  It will be a photo finish if that happens.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

m gardner

Depending on what you buy Remington is making "Managed Recoil" loads for many calibers now. Check it out at www.reminton.com You won't have to reload. You can get the Thompson Center Encore with a youth butstock and change it up as he grows. God bless and good shooting.

Big Red Trike

IMHO, I believe a 308 is the most easily purchased and readily available factory loaded calibre.

But the logic given on this thread is impressive..........remember....the heavier the gun the less felt recoil but more difficult to hold free hand.

I've saddled my 13 yr old (5'7" 175lbs) up to my Winchester Model 88 in .308 and a set of shooting sticks. I ask after each bench session how ya doin...he is shooting sub 1" groups with my 150 gr 2950ft/sec hand loads and no flinch.....all I gots left to say is whitetails better becareful.

Best of luck

BRT

gitano

I built my wife a 7x57. I wish very sincerely that I had chosen the .308 Win instead. Lot's of dead critters later, the .308 kills not deader, but certainly more immediately than the 7x57 OR a 7-08 does.

Bullets from 100 to 250 grains..... target & benchrest record setter... (at ranges far beyond any appropriate hunting range for a novice, and even for most hunting 'experts')... can be loaded 'light, 'medium', or 'heavy'. Can be loaded fast or slow. It is simply an excellent cartridge, for novice or expert.

The .308 Win is a cartridge from which pleasant memories will more likely spring than any of the other cartridges mentioned, almost all of which I own and like. But I say again, I tought a novice to shoot and hunt, and after almost 20 years of hunting with her, I sincerely wish I had chosen the .308 Win. instead of any 7mm cartridge smaller than the 7mm Mag.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

As a confirmed Handiholic, I must mention that rifle, You can buy it with a full size stock in a bunch of calibers, including .25-06 , .308 . .270, .280 , 7-08 and .30-06, about $200 , for another $35 , you can get a youth length stock that can be interchanged in about 3 minutes, for less than $100, you can get another barrel, I just ordered 3 barrels and will pay $250 for all three including shipping.
Few things are safer than a single shot, will teach a person to be sure of the first shot and are just fun to use, a SS is about 4" shorter than a bolt or lever action to start with, if it is outgrown and replaced with a bunch of repeaters, the grandkids will still be coming on later
Don ;D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Hunterbug

I like the Ruger 77 Compact in something like a 30-06 short mag(308) or 260.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

Just when I thought I had my mind made up, Gitano throws in a monkey wrench.  If there aer a lot of bullets made in .284, there are tons made in .308, many more options with it. And so has Don, a Handi/H&R/NEF would be a fine rifle as well.

I really appreciate all the input, I think whatever decision I make, it is going to be well informed.  THe local gun shop has most of the rifles mentioned, just in the wrong calibers, so I am going to let my son try them out for feel, and then order it in the right caliber.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

m gardner

I was looking around on the Weatherby website and they now make a Vanguard Compact rifle for youth. It's a cheaper priced model and comes with a full sized stock at no extra charge for when the youth gets bigger. Pretty good idea. God bless and good hunting.

gitano

That does sound like a good idea. Too bad it's a Weatherby. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: