Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Youth Deer Rifle
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Moderator at Large

RatherBHuntin is on a distinguished road
Default Youth Deer Rifle

I've been lookin around at various cartridges and rifles, trying to find the right combination for my 5'4", 140 lb son. He is destined to be a rather large man someday, and I need to get him a rifle this year for deer season in Alabama. Also want it chambered in a respectable sized cartridge that can grow with him.

Original thought was .243, but then I was looking at ballistics and thought it kind of maxed out a little slower and lighter than I wanted. Next thought was 7mm-08, could load it light to heavy as he gets bigger and more comfortable with it. I don't see him needing a more powerful rifle than that in his near future(until he has to buy his own guns). Those two would be in a nice short action, most I would need is to replace the youth synthetic stock he is going to get with a fullsize wood stock later on.

Last thought was getting him a .270, in a youth model. Good selection of bullets, common cartridge. Then I compared the ballsitics between the 7mm-08 and the .270, and they are almost identical. The 7-08 will be have just a hair more arc to it, but it will also create just a touch bigger wound channel. Seems to be a few more bullets made for the 7-08 as well. But the trump card is the action, SHORT combined with the revelation that he doesn't need more than a 20" barrel. I think this puts the 7mm-08 clearly in the lead. I can get him in a 38 1/4" rifle, at about 7 pounds and can handload mild, light loads and progress up as needed/wanted.

Thoughts?

"Politics is supposed to be the world's second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan