Cleaning Brass

Started by Alboy, October 19, 2004, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

As I needed to clean up some 45-70 brass and four 12 gauge hulls I intend to convert to powder measures I thought I would show some of the beginning reloaders one method I have learned over the years for inexpensive brass cleaning. This gives a semi-matte patina not a polish.

The recipe is simple enough. You need vinegar (cheapest), sealable container (I prefer glass), dirty brass, more time than money.

1. Put all your brass in the container.
2. Cover with vinegar.
3. Shake, roll or agitate till all air has worked out of cases.
4. Let sit for a few days.
5. When brass has turned to a sheen acceptable to you remove from vinegar. Save old vinegar as it is reuseable many times. Cases should be checked and excess moisture shaken out.
6. Let air dry until you are ready to reload.

There are two steps that can be modified if you are in a hurry. That term is relative to this process. And this will raise the smell quotient considerably.

#2 Heat the vinegar. Running it through a coffee maker does this pretty well and cleans the machine to boot. Then cover brass and let soak one day.

#6. Heat cases in a low oven until dry.

If you really have a whole lot of brass or are straped in the worst way for coin you can dilute the vinegar 1:1 with water. It justs slows down the process some.

I have never experienced any problems with this harming the brass or contributing to earlier case failure in reloading. I have 45-70 cases with upwards of 30 reloadings, and .38 special cases that I have been using since the late 60's, I have lost count on how many times they have been restuffed.

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Here is what you can expect. 3 1/2 to 4 days later. I just poured off the vinegar and washed the brass in HOT water to speed the drying process.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: