Stinger Or Velocitsers

Started by Mark Kaiser, October 19, 2004, 05:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Kaiser

I was what would be better on Coyotes CCI Stingers OR Velociters???

Daryl (deceased)

Neither one.

The .22 LR isn't a reliable killer of coyotes, no matter what ammo you use in it.

Stick with the centerfire cartridges or a shotgun at close range and you'll kill coyotes reliably.  Use a .22 LR and you'll leave animals to die slow and painfully a lot more often than any hunter should.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Mark Kaiser

Well im thinking of gettying the coyote close and just shootin him in the head becuse i can hit a popcan at 125 yards every time u just got to aim at the top and u hit in the middle and my gun is sitted in at 75 yards. your rite no hunter should leave a animal to suffer!

Daryl (deceased)

Mark,

I failed to look into your profile before I posted, and as a result I may have sounded a little blunt in my post.  You see, I expect most adults to have a basic knowledge of the limitations of their caliber, and so when confronting such a question I sometimes get just a little testy.  I'm truly sorry for that, my friend.  Had I realized that you were so young, I'd have been more explanatory in my first response.

I've killed several hundred coyotes over the last 28 years or so, with weapons varying from a simple bow and arrow to the .22 LR, shotguns, and several centerfire rifles.  I state this not to brag, but to show that I do have some experience to base my opinions on.

Coyotes are tough, and I've seen hard hit coyotes that just seem to keep going no matter what.  As a result, I like to use a rifle/handgun that I know will do the job and do it right.

The problems that I see with your choices (and my recommendations) are these:

The .22 LR isn't a very powerful cartridge, and is much more suitable for hunting rabbits and other small game (up to the size of a fox).  It CAN and HAS killed an awful lot of coyotes, but your shots have to be placed carefully.  That's quite a restriction to place on a young hunter, and I know that wounding and loosing an animal has caused more that a few hunters to feel pretty bad.  IF you can place every shot PERFECTLY, and hold yourself to standing shots at close range, then you may be alright using this.  If I were to use a .22 LR, I'd opt for the CCI mini-mag ammo.

The .410 that you mention would work fine, provided that you can find slugs for that weapon.  The shot size/amount limitations of that particular round severely limit it's capabilities on an animal the size of a coyote.

I've killed coyotes with a 20 guage shotgun a time or two, but it really takes a full choke.  Shotguns work well when you can get multiple hits from shot that is heavy enough to penetrate the vitals (like buckshot).  From your description of that weapon, it doesn't sound like you'll get a very dense pattern.  Whatever range you can get a good, tight pattern at with #3 buckshot is the range I would limit shots too.  Try shooting a few rounds at a large box to see what your pattern is like.

I know that some people (especially young hunters) can't start out with a proper coyote caliber, and in those cases they must either compromise or not hunt.  Given the same choice, I'd limit myself to careful, close range shots and go hunting; I can only expect the same from others.

Good luck Mark!  I hope that you'll let us know how your hunts turn out.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

If I was going to use a 22LR for coyotes it would be with the CCI velocitors inside of 50 yards. I have used them for rabbits in my 22 and have to make sure that I take a head shot because they and viscious little 22s and would tear even a good sized rabbit up.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Vacant

Okay, of the two bullets you listed I will explain why you DONT want to use stingers at extended range. Stingers are a 32gr bullet traveling at 1650 fps. They are made for rapid expansion and they are very frangible. They will not go through a coyotes shoulder- it will break into many little pieces though. These rounds shouldnt be used on any hard boned animal. Foxes, groundhogs, P-Dogs, skunks, porcupines etc. etc. are fine to shoot with a stinger because they all have thin skin and fragile bones.

The CCI Velocitor is a 40gr HP traveling at 1450fps. It is the fastest moving, full grained, 22lr bullet out there. It is designed for controlled expansion, deep penetration, and weight retention. This is the ideal 22lr "big" game round.

A picture says a thousand words:

"Here is a lead block that is aprox 1" thick and weighs 7 1/2lbs.
All shots were from 50 yards.. 22lr's were fired from my model 60 with no scope (hence the jumble of craters). The 3 largerhits on the left are from the 17HMR, also fired from 50yrds."

-Courtesy of Mike249 over at rimfirecentral.com

Notice that the stingers penetrated just as far as the velocitor at 50yds. However, at 75yds the difference is quite staggering. I cant find the pic but the stinger only went in 1/4" and the velocitor still went the full 7/16".

Hope that helped,
Randy

Daryl (deceased)

Thanks Randy; that's an interesting comparison.

I STILL maintain that body shots on coyotes with the .22 LR isn't a good idea.  Some people question cartridges like the .17 Ramington, and that cartridge would undoubtedly shoot a 25 grain bullet completely through that 1" lead block; leaving a larger hole in the backside.

Folks, I don't mean to preach, but if a person is going to hunt then he owes it to the animal he hunts to use a cartridge capable of giving a quick, clean kill.  Yes, mistakes will happen sometimes, but using enough gun reduces that chance considerably.  If using an appropriate cartridge isn't possible, and the person is going to hunt anyway, (s)he at least owes it to the animal to do all they can to give that same quick, clean kill...which mostly means close range head shots.

To do otherwise leaves only the animal to suffer the consequences of the hunters inept attempts.

There was no stopping me from hunting when I was Mark's age, and my dad well knew it.  As a result, ha made sure that I had a rifle and shotgun that could handle what I wanted to do, and made sure that I knew how to use them safely and accurately.  With Mark living in Alberta, firearms are likely harder to get for him, especially at his age, so he likely doesn't have that option.

I always like to try to encourage young people to hunt, and it's been my experience that they don't like to see an animal run off unrecovered after shooting it.  Them accepting the limitations of the cartridge they use is one of the best ways I know of to help insure that doesn't happen.

Az

RIP Linden33

AussieMike

I have had lots of one shot kills on foxes, goats and pigs with small calibres including .22s - my rule of thumb is that I won't shoot unless I can guarantee 100% that I can get the bullet into a vital organ two shots in a row - so that if the first shot goes astray I can effectively follow up.  Needless to say, I don't take may running shots.

I have had to put a second shot into a rabbit I hit a bit far back with a 375H&H spire point.  Shot placement is everything.

Look after that 22 - I got my first 22 age 5 and treasure it still (and it still shoots well).  

Good hunting.

Vacant

Well if they are going to di it anyway you might as well try and guide them. I cant remember how many posts we shot down on the old forums about people using the 22lr or 17hmr on coyotes. I think we have all done it but as everyone else has said:

RIMFIRES ARE ***NOT*** BIG GAME CARTRIDGES!!!! (no matter where you shoot them)

Randy

Mark Kaiser

Randy I know im young but. 17 Hmrs are deadly. My friends got one and his dad just shot a coyote this week and the coyote droped in its tracks. He shot a fox and the wound was as big as your fist.

I must thank you all for all your support.

your friend,
mark

Mark Kaiser

Hey again Im thinkin of putting coyote hunting on hold till I get my dads old 30-06. that should take a coyoted down one shot!!!!;)

Marlin917VS

I agree with Mark Kaiser to an extent.  I know theres a difference between a coyote and a groundhog but the wound left in a groundhog from 150 yrds was pretty big with the 17hmr.  I wouldnt be shooting a coyote at 150 yards with the 17hmr and I wouldnt consider it my main rifle for coyote but if I was out hunting with my 17hmr and i saw a coyote and it was in season I would take it as long as its within 100 yards if its small and if its larger maybe 75 yards.  Although I dont really hunt with a 22 anymore I would probably take a shot at a coyote as long as its within 50 yards or less and its a really good shot.   Just my opinion, I'm also young and I iknow you all have a lot more experience than me.  I wouldnt consider either as a "coyote cartridge" but i think they will both work as long as the shooter knows their limitations.  later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Gmoney

Mark,  This topic has come up often on this board...how far can you go with a .17HMR. Coons, foxes, bobcats, coyotes..?

As mentioned by Az and others as well as myself, you can kill an animal with an undersized gun with correct shot placement....or as I think an absolutely perfect shot placement is the only way... I owned a .17HMR and was all into the hype of this"rimfire killing machine" but I was badly mistaken along with so many others.  

I had many foxes and even coons run off after being hit solidly from close range (less than 75 yards) with a .17HMR. After these results I didn't even attempt to shoot a coyote.  Shots in or very nearby the vital area... These animals probably died a slow and agonizing death... the problem with the HMR and with the varmint bullets is that when they strike something they fragment instantly and in my experiences they very rarely exit...I am not saying that they do exit but I had maybe 2 bullets exit... the point is that when they do not exit the bleeding tends to be mostly internal and does not leave a blood trail to follow up... so you are stuck trying to follow a wounded animal with no blood trail... this is the last thing hunters want to be faced with...if we choose this sport and pasttime, ethics has got to be a part of it....

I am not bashing the HMR and I am not saying that you have bad ethics...I am just speaking from experience that you cannot take an animal of a coyote size and even a fox size consistantly and humanely...I do not shoot anything larger than a coon with the HMR... in fact I traded mine in for a .223 and now shoot a .204 for varmints...

This is just my opinion and will naturally differ with others but I would really think twice about shooting larger animals with an HMR...

Marlin, I can agree for the most part with your take on the situation and do not have a problem with your take on the HMR... If you limit your distance on your game and take the proper shot at the proper place you may be okay....but I did these same things and the results were described above...

Good hunting and be careful...Gmoney
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Thanks for your post Gmoney.  There are always thoughts and opinions in threads like this, but nothing speaks louder than experience.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Vacant

Mark: I never said the 17hmr wasnt deadly. All guns are "deadly." My point is, the 17hmr is undergunned for coyotes. I have shot over 5000 rounds through my HMR, also 1100 rouns of the new HM2, and I know its capabilities. I have also killed many coyotes and racoons with it, as well as many groundhogs.

The 17HMR is capable of penetrating a threat level 3 kevlar vest as documented by ChiefDave over at RFC:

QuoteTEST = yardage needed to penetrate BULLET PROOF panel ( vest front panel) . Level = NIJ -THREAT LEVEL III-A model# BM-3A-9512
Rated = stop 44 magnum 240 gr projectile

RANGE start at 25 yds -> untill failure to penetrate 100 %

17 HMR 25 yds passed
35 yds passed
45 yds failed
22 MAGNUM
25 yds failed

Randy

Tags: