Military base reallocations/closings

Started by Kit, May 16, 2005, 09:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

base closings -- merely economic? or military/political strategy?

ase closings are really just as we\'ve been told -- to save money
2 (28.6%)
trategy against Chinese/N.Korean threats w/out general panic
0 (0%)
robably about equal
2 (28.6%)
omething completely different
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 15, 2005, 09:42:50 AM

Kit

Do you think these base closings are really "just" to save money? --  or is the primary focus on reallocating force and funds to deal with the Chinese/N.Korean threats without panicking the public even worse?

m gardner

As our threats change our mission changes and we are redeployed accordingly. It's probably a reaction to a changing world. Trust in the Lord. God bless.

gitano

While I have heard that Secretary Rumsfeld said the base closings would save money, I have yet to hear that saving money was the reason they are being closed, reconfigured and redeployed.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

QuoteDefense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld announced today that the department's recommendations to close or realign military facilities in the United States will better position U.S. forces to confront this century's threats.

From above URL

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I do think that they need to close alot of out bases in places like Germany and bring thoes troops back to the states. We are doing quite a bit to support their economy, bring them home to support our own economy. I also belive that that would do alot to protect our country if done right. How about a new base in the Arizona desert where alot of illegals cross the border? I do not however think that we should reduce our troop levels in South Korea. If anything it should be the opposite.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

m gardner

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This probably won't save us money. More will be needed to do the new thing. It's also best that the government keeps the bases in its ownership because the EPA rules didn't (and may still not) apply to them so some places will become cleanup projects. More money. God bless.

gitano

QuoteIt's also best that the government keeps the bases in its ownership because the EPA rules didn't (and may still not) apply to them so some places will become cleanup projects.

Is a BIG issue.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

One of the considerations published in the report and recomendation for each base they plan on closing is how much it will take to clean it up.  Most often mentioned was "ground water migration".  Another area is the removal of unexploded munitions.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

I wonder if Haliburton will be getting those "clean-up" contracts?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

m gardner

Hey, come on Paul. Haliburton is okay. My plant is closing and we had a job fair and they showed up and offered us jobs for half the pay and twice the hours. My dream job but I had to turn it down. God bless America.

Mark

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: