Making The Cut - And Then Some!

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 19, 2004, 06:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Some may think that this is a gimmick...but it really works and is worth having in your permanently packed hunting gear.  By K-Bar.

Jay Edward (deceased)

But it gets better...

Alboy

Just stumbled accross this one Jay

I have seen a similar looking set up hanging on the rack at Bass Pro and Walmart, etc. did not realize they came apart for use...observant aren't I.

Will definately have to take a closer look
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

It is worth taking a 2nd look at Alboy.  A quick search on the net showed it was listed in the $20 to $26 range.

I'll bet I've told a few hundred youngsters during Hunter's Ed to 'keep a day pack packed and ready'.  No scrambling around looking for bits and pieces or ammo... just pick up your rifle and pick up your day pack... and walk out the door.

Listing for them the items to be carried, I always mention a Sierra Cup, some coffee, tea or cocoa... a little bit of salt... a little bit of sugar... Trail Bars... and a package or two of Instant Oatmeal.  With that you can go for a couple of days at least.

The Hobo makes it easier on an improvised 'camp out' and covers all the bases if you can manage to get a grouse or two.  This isn't just some theory... I've done it voluntarily.  I think old Rendezvouers think along those lines anyhow.

LvrLover

I got a similar one made by browning. I love it. It comes apart in 2 pieces. VERY SHARP knife(is there any other kind) and a spoon on one half. Fork, can and bottle opener on the other. Came with a sheath too. Retail for about $20 but I snagged a couple on clearance for $5. Its a great idea and does not RATTLE as many utensile sets do.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

m gardner

I need one for sure.  I carry utensils but they are always rattling around. Sometimes I forget them and end up carving ,a spoon at least, out of some sort of wood that doesn't taste bad or isn't poisonous. Thanks.
Mark

Alboy

Just bought two sets this weekend in a Walmart of all places.

LOVE and I had run up into Missouri to visit my dad and on the way home had to visit every Walmart we spied. You never know what they will have that is different from the one at home.:confused:

Any way I am marking time in the sporting goods and there they were for less than $5 a pop. I will put some pictures in a little later.

LOVE came up to see what I was up to and then I was in trouble. She allowed as how she had been thinking about that some and wanted an emergency survival kit for her truck. (Drives a 2006 Envoy) I will take a picture of that kit too.
Interesting. Best I can recall right now There are 2 small generic bottles for shampoo and conditioner from her big jugs at home, a travel shampoo and a travel conditioner (don't ask as I am just relating), mini roll of paper towels (6" wide by some length, about 1" thick roll) at twice the price of full size, small screw lid clear jar (2" dia by 1 1/2" deep), tide travel clothes soap, shout it out wipes, plastic police whistle, leatherman tool, 100 count of 2"round cotton cleansing pads, travel roll toilet paper, travel pack of toilet seat covers, mouth wash strips, tooth brush holder, tooth brush, tooth paste, KY massage jel, various over the counter medications, holding day planner for prescription medication and some other stuff I have now forgotten.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Here is the picture I promissed.

During the process of bragging on the back up utensils I lost them to her kit as well. Some of the things I mentioned before are not here so MY LOVE must have them stashed some place not readily apparent to me.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

This about sums up the first set up on MY LOVES truck kit.

Shout out stain remover
Toilet seat covers
Mouth wash tabs
Whistle
Toilet paper
Emergency pancho
tooth picks/dental floss

Theres is not a thing I would not find useful. The medicines she chose I have not listed as those should be an individual decision. Hers did include Pain/fever reliever, antibiotic creme, bandaids, anti-diareal/stomach soother along with personal medicines ( old age setting in)
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

Man!  She is prepared, isn't she?

I believe that those ladies who think along these lines are not the type who become 'victims'.  This can give the men in their lives peace of mind.

Alboy

Thanks Jay

Bare in mind this is just the small kit and all of that fits in the small black bag in the first picture. Maybe not in the original packaging but it fit.

This is the same lady that I post those formidable targets on every once in a while but can not get to enter a competition shoot because she does not want to get embarrassed.

When packing for a trip it is NOT a 15 minute prior notice thing with her. On the other hand I can not remember the last time we arrived with out something we needed, even for some pretty unusual contingencies. We do however require full size travel vehicles and accomodations.

If it ever comes to it the perimeters will work something like this. Dog gets in the way and gives it up first, this gives me time to get in action. Should I slip up and be taken out then the poor dumb idiot is going to have to deal with MY LOVE and she will not be in a good frame of mind by then.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

A little further explanation may help.

Remember the old joke "I have raised kids, you can't scare me!"

Well she has done that.

Driven a school bus for about 8 years.

Transfered into school security for the last 6 years or so. First at a high school with two or three other guards and a licensed peace officer for help then moved into a junior high by herself. There you have to deal with it until the calvary arrive on your own and unarmed.

So.......................... I still hug her at every chance, answer politely, hold the door and thank my lucky stars every day for her.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: