help please by justin

Started by justin, May 06, 2005, 06:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin

i am looking for a 17hmr or a 223 but i just what to spend about 300 and is the 17 mach 2 highter than just the 17hmr what brand sould i get and i was wanting
a bore barrel on the 17hmr if i get one please help and
how much is a 17 hmr vs the 223

Kanibal

You can get a very nice accurate Marlin 17HMR for about 200 dollars.  You can get a nice Savage 223 for about 300 dollars, so it really depends on what you would rather have?  The 17 Mach 2 is shorter and has less velocity than a regular 17HMR.  They made the 17M2 for semi autos and especially lever action firearms.  I would suggest to you to get the Marlin 17HMR I have shot them and they are very accurate and work great on everything from squirrels to a close range coyote.  They have potentially killed bigger animals but who knows how much of that is true.
-Richard

Kanibal

Oh I almost forgot to tell you about a good scope to buy. You can get a nice Simmons Prohunter 4-12 AO for around 90 dollars which would work great on a 17HMR or the 223 and put you right at 300 dollars, 200 for the gun and 100 for the scope. Below are pictures of the two Marlin 17HMR's and then below that is the Savage in 223.
-Richard

Hunterbug

I'm going to move this to the firearms forum. You'll probably get more interest there.

The question is what do you plan to do with it? If you're hunting foxes or rabbits then the 17 is the way to go. If you're looking for something to hunt coyotes then I would go with the 223. Also you can reload the 223 so it might me cheaper to shoot in the long run.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M1Garand

Don't forget the CZ 550, around $300 and a very accurate rifle.

Marlin917VS

I have a 17hmr and it's great.  If your hunting things from coyote and under then it's probably a better choice than the 223, unless you shooting really far out there.  I have the marlin 917vs (laminated/stainless), and it's extremely accurate.  Even with me shooting it will put 5 shots in .75" at 100 yards.  I got the gun for $300 and the scope for $200, but you can get the wood/blued version for about $200 i think.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Tags: