Winchester Trigger Help

Started by RatherBHuntin, May 04, 2005, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

I have a Win Model 70 bought new a couple years ago.  I am not satisfied with the trigger and this is exaggerated by shooting my Savage with Accutrigger and then the Win.  Can anyone give me any advice for tweaking it or point me towards a good web site with pics and instructions?  I would rather not replace the whole trigger assembly.  Is this a do it yourself project?  Seems as if I heard or read something somewhere, but can't find anything now. Shoudl I just take the trigger apart and polish it all up?

THL, I appreciate any help you can provide.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

m gardner

You can replace the spring fairly easily. Get a compression spring at the local hardware store (our True Value has them) the same outside diameter but with a smaller diameter wire  (less force). Use calipers to determine this. Get several in different wire sizes. Cut them to the same lenght as the original. Try them. Make sure to slam the bolt shut and measure the pull to see if the sear is slipping by itself after you do this. Sometimes the sear surfaces are angled so that you cannot decrease the trigger pull weight without the gun firing when the bolt is closed. If this is the case the sear faces need to be recut with a stone so that they are parallel to each other and won't slide unless the trigger is pulled. This is tedious work and best done by a gunsmith. This is pretty dangerous work from a liability standpoint, so you may want to get an aftermarket trigger instead. God bless and good shooting.

Kanibal

RatherB is your model 70 the newer model with the greyish colored barrel and the black reciever? The reason I ask is because I just had my Remington 700 reblued and they ended up doing my barrel like the new Winchester model 70 configuration. I think it looks great although it is not very traditional. Ill post pics on a new thread. Do you have any pics of your Win 70?  

Here is a pic of the new Winchester 70's.
-Richard

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Glenn,

Can you post a pic of your trigger?  I don't think they have changed over the years.  My M70 was made about 1985 and it just required adjustment on the lock nuts.  It breaks clean at just a little over 3#'s.  Very simple to do if we are talking on the same page.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

m gardner

The 3 I've played with lately were ajustable but the springs were heavy.When a lighter spring is used you aren't at the limit of the spring ajustment and there is a better feel to the trigger. Two model 70's and a model 7 marlin ( a close copy of the 70).

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: m gardnerThe 3 I've played with lately were ajustable but the springs were heavy.When a lighter spring is used you aren't at the limit of the spring ajustment and there is a better feel to the trigger. Two model 70's and a model 7 marlin ( a close copy of the 70).
Thanks for the info on the lighter springs.....What a shame that Marlin discontinued their MR-7.  Have only had one come thru the shop and it was chambered for the 25-06.  Very nice firearm.

Ol' John.:)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

m gardner

That particular rifle (marlin 7) went to my oldest nephew. I glass bedded the front and rear of the action, the first 2 inches of the barrel and the last 2 inches of the forearm. It wears a weaver 1 to 3 scope in Leupold bases and rings. It will shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups which doesn't sound like much, but the point of impact hasn't changed in 2 years. He's shot several deer with it, one big 6 point. He's a pretty happy kid. They are a nice rifle. When Gart's liquidated them for $259 apiece I should've bought all of them not just the one. Live and learn. God bless and good shooting.

RatherBHuntin

Sorry these took a day or two in the making, trying to sell a house, get ready to move, work, baseball, T-Ball, and every now and then (not enough) some range time. I've been a busy boy.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

RatherBHuntin

So just take those lock nuts about half the distance to the trigger?
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Glenn,

Send me a PM with your address and I will let you borrow my wrenches.  Or if you prefer to own your own you can purchase at Brownells. www.brownells.com

Ol' John..;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

RatherBHuntin

'Ol John,
 Its done, and it feels much better now. I happened to have a very small set of wrenches and they worked just fine, the whole thing was really pretty easy to get to. Thanks for the offer and thanks for the advice.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Tags: