hey im new will any one talk to me?

Started by blackmouthcurs_chobeegurl, May 02, 2005, 04:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmouthcurs_chobeegurl

hey im new on this site and i just got a new black mouth cur after my golden rtreiver past on. now this is my very first cur ,but my family has had curs in the past and all my friends have them when she gets old enough my step dad is going to teacher her to hunt for hogs.my point is when is the best time to start training her , zoe(the cur) is 6 weeks old last thursday.:) when someone gets this message will someone teach me how to work this site please and thank you.by the way im 15 years old i live in okeechobee florida and im a girl.

rockinbbar

Chobee,

That cur ought to make a great dog. I've got 2 of them to use for lion hunting...They are a mess!

OK, what do you want to know about navigating the site?

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Well, don't know much about curs because I hunt with airedales, but I'd imagine that you're in for some fun if they're anything like my dogs! :)

If your family has used curs in the past, they're likely your best resource to learn from.  That said...

I use my dogs for hunting coyotes, and I started them pretty young.  Coyotes aren't as dangerous as hogs though.  I'd start her out hunting smaller stuff when she's young, just to encourage her to hunt.  With my airedales, I only had to put game in front of them and they pretty well taught themselves.  After the hunting drive is strong in them, you can start breaking the dog off of unwanted animals (like deer, sheep, and cattle) while encouraging her to hunt the hogs that you want.

As a note, tri-tronics collars are great for breaking bad habits and for keeping the dog off of unwanted game.  Just be careful to not over use the collar if you use one.  A little correction goes a long ways.

I'm not sure what kind of trouble you're having with the site.  It looks like you have it figured out pretty good!  If there's anything I can help you with, just ask here and I'll help in any way that I can.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

English

Hey, sorry I'm late.  Good to have you aboard BMCgurl.  Those BMC's are a pretty versatile dog.  Make him your buddy for now and start with the obedience training.  Things like walking on a leash, come, sit, stay, and no are good things for a young pup to learn.  Also take him for walks in the woods.  I am a firm believer of the more you mess with a dog the more intelligent they hunt.  They learn to use thier brains not just their instincts.  I dont' hunt hogs but if I can answer any questions I'll sure try.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

YoteBuster

Good choice, the cur is about the most versatile hunting dog out there, they can generalize, rather than specialize. The one fella is right, obedience training is paramount, that dog must know what you expect...no demand, nothing worse than an ill trained dog, or an owner that makes excuses over its behavior. Any breed can be trained, and trained well to behave while at home, or in the field...good luck with your cur.

Springbuck

Interesting advice. What is a cur? Us africans do not know the breed. Also I noticed the comment about hunting lion with them, as the reference is about mountain lion, I am curious about the legislation that allows the practice.

Just asking Springbuck

treedawg38328

Springbuck go to squirreldogcentral.com and you can find out all you want about cur dogs.i will get a pic. of mine on here .mine is a kemmer cur.Tommy
;)

Springbuck

Had a look at the site.  Nice dogs.  A lot like the boxer in shape.  Greyhounds and beagles used in South Africa, but I do take it that there are individuals who prefer to shoot over the german short hair pointers when they go for ducks.

buckshot roberts

:D Hey, Treedawg38328 how have you been, How did that weekend hunt go, i been work'n my two dog, try'n to make squirrel dog's out of them, I know they will run turkeys, I'm try'n to stop them from being gun shy. Any ideas;) , Also Welcome to THL young lady:)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Springbuck

Hope you all are on high ground!  All we see on our news is the flooding and the hurricanes.  I know it is mostly in the south, but still thinking of all the toughies hanging in.

Tags: