Graf Blackpowder #2

Started by quigleysharps4570, April 27, 2005, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quigleysharps4570

Finally got out this evening and tried the 3f Graf in my muzzleloader. This first target was the first 3 shots of the day...70grs. of 3f Graf, patched ball, crisco lube, shot off the hood of my vehicle at 50 yards with my .50 Lyman GPR (hunter barrel). I think right now she would do...am sure I'll play with the loads some more.

Fired 3 more shots into another target...not as good as the first. Thinking it was me. As you can see, only one in the red...the other 2 touching off to the side. Fired several more shots at stumps and such.

Oldtimer

Hi Quiqley,

What type of gun are you using?  Is this BPC or front stuffer?  No problem taking anything you are shooting at with either target.  

I shot a 1885 High-Wall single shot carbine this past week at a DU show near Richmond Va. this past weekend. 45-70 cal. shot with factory loads of unknow size or bullet weight.  

I liked the feel and performance of this rifle and may get one at some point.  Will be my second non-flint gun in years.  The first a 22-250 Savage 112BV for groundhog and fox.

Do you load with black powder in you Sharps?

Any input on the Uberti brand imported by Benelli?

many thanks
Legends die when dreams end
When dreams end there is no more greatness.

Oldtimer

quigleysharps4570

Front stuffer was what it was shot with. Did better the last time I was out...then broke my ramrod. Haven't been out since. Blackpowder in my Sharps...yessir. Do have a smokeless load that I really like too. Can't tell you anything about that Uberti.

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've never seen the red/green targets like that before Quig.  Are they fairly common?

How come you're only using 70 grains in the GPR?  I thought the loading was closer to 100 grains.

quigleysharps4570

Those targets I printed off of "My Targets.com" Jay.
Why am I only using 70grs...because I also shoot the 325gr. REAL bullet with 80grs. out of the same rifle and that 70grs. is what I came up with on the patched ball to keep my sight setting the same. If I jack one up...the other will have to follow. I'm pretty content with them as is. Does that make any sense?

Alboy

Wasn't asked but it makes sense to me. Should still have plenty of "UUUUUMPH" at 50.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: quigleysharps4570Those targets I printed off of "My Targets.com" Jay. [/size]
Why am I only using 70grs...because I also shoot the 325gr. REAL bullet with 80grs. out of the same rifle and that 70grs. is what I came up with on the patched ball to keep my sight setting the same. If I jack one up...the other will have to follow. I'm pretty content with them as is. Does that make any sense?
[/size]

Ahhh...I see.  You've eliminated mistakes that could be made in the field.  I use roundball only in barrels that have a twist for roundball only...my compromise is that I want all my .54s to use the same load.  Hah!  Fat chance!  ...but they're pretty close.

I've shot Minnie bullets in the paper cartridge sharps but have never tried the REAL bullet.  In trying to get maximum velocity (and flat trajectory) out of the muzzle loaders I use the roundball...this was an easy decision as I'm an old stick-in-the-mud traditionalist.

quigleysharps4570

I'm pretty much a stick-in-the-mud myself...but...everynow and again I'll sway. That REAL bullet is really something. If one runs...there will be no mistake whatsoever where it headed and it will be dead at the end of the trail.

drinksgin (deceased)

I have 4 REAL molds, .45 and .50 both, they are easy to load, even with ww's ,liquid alox or LBT blue lube work fine, have loaded as many as 15 in a string with no cleaning and the last went down as easily as the first.
Have had no problem keeping a 2" group at 50 yds, that is 4" at 100 and that is as far as I am going to shoot a ML.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: