My New Girl

Started by Kanibal, April 23, 2005, 03:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

Howdy all these are some pictures of my new gun.  It is a CZ 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger and the scope is a Simmons Prohunter 4-12 which I paid 85 dollars for.  I decided on the cheaper scope so I can use the rest of my alotted "Gun Money"  for ammunition and what not.  Burris started making CZ527 scope rings so I also have a pair of those on my new gun.  Thats also a Harris bi-pod in the first picture.  

I have not had time to shoot it yet but will this weekend if I can find any 204 ammo which may be more difficult than I think.  204 cartridges are no where to be found, the ammo companies cannot keep up with the need for the 204 cartridge.  If anyone knows where I can find some ammo online or wherever else that would be very cool.  

So what do ya think?
-Richard

sav17

Hi kanibal,

so you finally got her then,she should shoot as good as she looks,and the scope looks fine to me;)
Hurry up and get your ammo to put her through her paces;)
Your friend...................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

rockinbbar

Nice rifle, Richard....:D

Be sure & let us know how she does, OK?

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Kanibal,

Really top drawer, neighbor!  Hope you find the ammo!  You made a super choice!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

calestus

Fantastic looking rifle.  Be sure to give us a range report!  Cabelas had 200 rounds of .204 for 100 bucks the last time i looked....?  May check with them.

Kanibal

Thanks for the kind words.

Also as you may have noticed I set the scope back a bit as the bolt has such a sharp angle that it was hitting the eye-piece as I draw the bolt backwards but is not long enough to reach the 1 inch main tube.  I think I may end up grinding the corner on the bolt handle a bit and having my friend re-blue it for me.  That will solve the problem.  I am also going to try putting my Leupold 3-9 on the CZ and seeing if the bolt will hit the eyepiece on that.  The Leupold is a bit more sleek than the Simmons I and I think it shouldnt be a problem.  The new Burris rings are shorter than the factory CZ rings that used to be the only available CZ rings.  I think Warne makes the older style rings for CZ.
-Richard

Hunterbug

That's a nice looking piece. Can you completely cycle the bolt with the scope mounted? I'm curious, why did you go with the Burris rings instead of the CZ rings? I'm thinking that the taller rings will solve your problem.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

Kanibal - Nice looking rifle buddy, CZ makes a nice looking rifle but I'm just not a fan of the detachable mag underneath....I'd hit it too much and bump it  and such....but that's just me as I tend to me hard on rifles lugging them through the woodsand such.....You will love the .204.....I am having a hard time finding ammo as well......do a google search for .204 ammo and you will find some....I found some the other day..... Get the Leupold when you can afford one.....I know me and Rockin' have the Rifleman series and I'm pretty sure he is as fond of his as I am of mine......good luck and let us know when you find ammo, how much, how it shoots, when you make first kill...lol...pretty much everything......

HB - I had the same prob with my Savage cycling the bolt and some Burris rings fixed the problem......but them when I upgraded scopes the rings/ scope combo needed some rigging...lol....but I fixed the problem....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Kanibal

Just as I suspected.  I put my Leupold 3-9 VX-1 on my new CZ 204 and sure enough with the Leupold being of sleaker design the bolt did not hit the scope eye piece at all, my Leupold is usually on my 7mm mag if your wondering why I dont just use it on my new CZ.  The bolt just barely scrapes on the Simmons eye piece, but I think I am just going to have to buy another Leupold to put on my CZ.  Ill put my new Simmons on a 17 HMR.  The bolt doesnt scrape on the Leupolds at all and clears the widest part of the scope by 1/4 an inch.  

Rockin- I bought the Burris instead because I like shorter rings.  The CZ rings are talls while the Burris are your average medium.  The Burris rings also have the patented Torx Screw design which hold the scope in place very tightly.  Very nice looking rings as well.  

Ill also be sure to let you all know how it works when I get some ammo.  I ordered some but it is on back order for a couple of weeks.
-Richard

Tags: