Would You Take This Shot?????

Started by LLANOJOHN (deceased), April 20, 2005, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Back in '89 I worked one summer at a guest ranch near Jackson, Wyoming. This picture was made the day I left to head back to Texas. Range by guesstimation was about 400 yards. Pic was done at Antelope Flats north of Jackson and east of the Grand Tetons! Someday I hope to have a shot with a rifle instead of the camera.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

rockinbbar

I'd try & get closer before I took a 400 yard shot.
I feel comforfotable putting one in it's neck at 300...but 400 yards, it would have to be a shot slightly behind the shoulder in the right spot. The .308 I use has lost a lot of it's "go juice" at 400....

Jackson Hole is beautiful John. I guided for a season there on the Red Rock Ranch when I was young & invincible...:D

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

That bull's not all that big by Arizona standards, and doesn't impress me all that much so I think I'd keep hunting.  The meat would taste good though...

I've shot a lot of coyotes farther than that. :D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

400, probably not. That's just farther than I care to shoot and I shoot a 338. Get that number close to 300 and that's a dead elk.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

m gardner

I'd wait until he turned broadside or slightly away and shoot him. Fourhundred yards and no wind isn't too bad if you practice. God bless and good hunting.

sniper1

Yes Sir, depending on the circumstances.  If it was late in the hunt and using  handloads in my .338, I wouldnt hesitate. He's in the open and would be in sight when he fell.  This is only me, I know what shots I can and cant pull off, each person/equipment situation is different. I shot a Moose in Canada on a right of away a little over 400 yards with the same rig and careful aim.  Just be sure you know your gun and where to put the cross hairs at this distance.

Take care.
Sniper1

yotecurhunter

Opening day, NO!  Thats a "raghorn" at best.  If it was late in the season, I think I could take him down.
Sean G. Harrison

Big Red Trike

My 7MM oh yeah....me.......I have never had to shoot that far....so I would pass........

BRT

yotecurhunter

Us wyoming boys are used to shooting far at elk.
Sean G. Harrison

Big Red Trike

I never said "I couldn't" I said "I've never had to". LOL

Lee

Willywonka

I'm gonna agree with the 300 yard maybe 350 but beyond that I wouldn't feel as comfortable with the shot. The bull is pretty much broadside and with a good penetrating bullet you should punch through the shoulder into the heart and lungs.

Tags: