Posting Pics

Started by RatherBHuntin, April 08, 2005, 05:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Resizing Pics

The one program that most everyone will have is Microsoft Paint. To get to it, click on the "Start" button in the lower left corner of the screen. Then "All Programs/Accessories/Paint". Accessories is usually the first folder in the list that pops up after clicking on All Programs. After Paint opens, browse to and pick the photo you need to resize. On the top row, pick "Image" then "Stretch and Skew".

In the window that opens change the Horizontal and Vertical values to about 50%. If the original is not to big you may be able to get up to 75% of the original size and still be under the 95kb limit for posting pics. Experimentation may be in order.

Make sure you "Save As" and not "Save" so that the original is left unchanged, and put it somewhere where you can find it. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE IT AS A JPEG,JPG IF ITS A PHOTO. If it is a hand drawn picture, black and white image, maybe targets GIF will be allright as well, but for pictures with lots of color, use JPEGs. There are better programs to use to edit graphics, but this one is the most common and included with Windows, and if you are reading this, then it is likely you have it on your computer. Most CDs you get when having film processed include a rudimentary editing tool. It most likely has a resizing tool in it somewhere, just look around. If you choose to resize using Pixels try about 600x400 or if using inches, 8x6. If after doing this it is still too big, shrink it alittle more.

Next thing you need to do is start a post or reply to one. If you are replying to a post, choose the Go Advanced button next to the Submit one to get to the Manage Attachments option, which will be near the bottom of the page.

Browse to the pictures location on your computer
Then Upload
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

RatherBHuntin

Resizing Pics

The one program that most everyone will have is Microsoft Paint. To get to it, click on the "Start" button in the lower left corner of the screen. Then "All Programs/Accessories/Paint". Accessories is usually the first folder in the list that pops up after clicking on All Programs. After Paint opens, browse to and pick the photo you need to resize. On the top row, pick "Image" then "Stretch and Skew".

In the window that opens change the Horizontal and Vertical values to about 50%. If the original is not to big you may be able to get up to 75% of the original size and still be under the 95kb limit for posting pics. Experimentation may be in order.

Make sure you "Save As" and not "Save" so that the original is left unchanged, and put it somewhere where you can find it. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE IT AS A JPEG,JPG IF ITS A PHOTO. If it is a hand drawn picture, black and white image, maybe targets GIF will be allright as well, but for pictures with lots of color, use JPEGs. There are better programs to use to edit graphics, but this one is the most common and included with Windows, and if you are reading this, then it is likely you have it on your computer. Most CDs you get when having film processed include a rudimentary editing tool. It most likely has a resizing tool in it somewhere, just look around. If you choose to resize using Pixels try about 600x400 or if using inches, 8x6. If after doing this it is still too big, shrink it alittle more.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

RBH, you are such a stud. I wish I could do that kind of stuff with the computer. Who's the cute kid with the ducks?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

Thanks HunterBug, had to learn that for a class I took.  Thats my 6 year old hunting dog, Chris. He fetches rabbits, dove, duck and cold drinks on command. An all around great companion and loyal to the end. He's my best buddy.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

I'm gonna sticky this for future reference.

BTW, how well does Chris point? :D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

He has too many False Points, his imagination and desire to see game is still greater than the actual amount of game out there.  
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

;) Hey thanks RatherBHuntin, got to post a pic today.;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Dragonfly

Well I use Microsoft Picture Manager.  You double click on the pic you want to post and up pops MPM.  Then I can edit.  I can even make a pic web ready.

I'm getting pretty good these days but it's not an easy program to navigate.

Doing Ebay has taught me many things about computers and pics!!!

Dragonfly

OH I forgot an edited, cropped pic.  Web ready.  Also includes brightness and contrast.

Remember this pic was behind glass.  And it turned out perfectly.

greywolf

just  a thought to add , "windows live photo gallery" is a free prog you can download from MS and does same thing as paint above but simplifies things a bit more . works great . but ! now i tried the instruct ions you gave the first time i tried to upload and it wouldn't work, had to send the pics to clueless and he got them in for me .
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

RatherBHuntin

You probably needed to make them smaller
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Quotehad to send the pics to clueless and he got them in for me .

Somehow, I have the idea Clueless is a she? ;)

Anyway, the steps in the original post is how I've been downsizing pictures for years. They upload to the site fine, but you have to make them small enough.

For full sized pictures, I usually downsize them to 20% of the original size.  Plenty big enough to view, yet small enough to load easily.

Another thing to remember is that if your camera stored them as a .bmp file, change them to a .jpg, .jpeg, or .gif file when you save the smaller version.  Bitmaps take up a lot more space on a computer than the others do, and take a lot longer to load.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: