Barnes XFB pics

Started by Hunterbug, April 02, 2005, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

A while ago Paul asked me for some pics of the 200gr Barnes XFB that I recovered from the elk that I shot last year. And finally here they are. The velocity at the muzzle was 2900fps. The elk was 305 yards and it was an almost head on shot. Velocity at impact was 2282fps with 2312 foot pounds of energy. The bullet penetrated almost completely through the animal and I found it just under the hide of the off side flank. It had actually cut a hole in the hide it just didn't have enough power to fall on to the ground.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

HB,

Pretty impressive expansion for the distance from muzzle to animal......Thanks for the pic.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

M1Garand

I have a barnes XLC that when I was developing a load for went through a partially rotted 12" barn beam I had in from of the dirt berm where my target set up is located. It was just poking out the other side. I weighed it and it retained over 95 % of it's weight. Excellent expansion and weight retention, I was impressed with that after going through that hard 100 year old barn beam. I really gotta get a digital camera so I can start posting pics too...

gitano

What a pretty sight! A 'trophy' as much as any other part as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks HB.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I was very pleased with the performance and to recover the bullet, this is only the second bullet that I have ever recovered. I was most distressed at Barnes' decision to discontinue this bullet. :(
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I know I'm not alone in this, but seems like every time I find a product that really "works", the manufacturer quits making it. Here's a picture of a 175 grain Barnes X Bullet in .338 that I recovered. To me it's a "beautiful thing". Barnes quit making X Bullets in 175 for the .338. Imagine that. I think they've quit making all flat-based X Bullets for .338. Brilliant. (I since checked, and the 160 and 250 are still flat-based.)

Another bullet I use extensively is the flat-based and large meplatted, Speer 115 grain HP in 7mm (.284"). No doubt it too will "fail to perform" sales-wise sooner or later. I've started to stockpile them.

Now I use the 210 Nosler Partition in my .338 WinMag. I just noticed that Nosler has quit making it in the original configuration with the cannelure. No big deal, except that it suggests that Nosler is fiddling with something that isn't broken. That's not a good sign.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

gitano, thoes are some great pics. What was the estimated impact velocity? They seem to be a bit more deformed than the bullet that I recovered. Also, what can you tell us about the resistance that it met? Did it hit bone or anything like that? Also, what animal was it recovered from?

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

I was afraid someone would ask that. :} I can't remember at the moment, which means I did not get it out of an animal. I'll get my notes and supply the details, but I'm quit certain (99%) it wasn't recovered from an animal.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

How are you guys determining impact velocity?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Hunterbug

kombi, in my case I took the known velocity at the muzzle, 2900fps, and the known distance, 305 yards. I then looked in the Barnes reloading book and they told me what my speed was and the energy. I've found that that's easier than setting up a chronograph at 300 yards and praying that you don't shoot it while trying to shoot over it. ;)

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

The 160 and 250 Barnes "X" bullets are still flat-based.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

You might want to grab some of thoes 160s to try in your 338 MAI. Just a thought.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: