Does THL sell e-mail addresses?

Started by Boondox, March 27, 2005, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boondox

I just recently joined and a few days later began getting numerous SPAM emails in the account I use here. Funny thing is, I haven't used that email address anywhere else, so I'm feeling like THL sold me out.

Moderators: What's your policy on that? Pete

Dragonfly

I don't think THL is selling our e mail addresses.  You have to remember every where you surf you are in for getting spam from your IP address.
One thing if you don't click the email open they cannot record your e mail address.  I get a warning with my computer with mail and other sites but none with this site or with email from here.

Some address sites like Yahoo, Hotmail record where you have surfed and provide an IP address to those sites.

And some servers give out IP addresses.  Or sale them.

rockinbbar

Boondox,

I can assure you that THL would never invade anyones privacy, nor sell, or give out ANY membership information.

We have roughly 650 members now.....There are a lot bigger fish out there than THL....That wouldn't be a drop in the bucket for a big company wanting to send spam to a memberlist...;)

I never get anything like that from anywhere, mostly because I have 2 firewalls it would have to get through.

Usually if spam can get through your internet service server, you need to upgrade your anti-virus software. They have trojan horse type adware now that sends your e-mail address to God knows who.....but, rest assured, it didn't come from here.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Kit

Hope you have a good firewall (Zone Alarm) because it sounds like you may have an electronic spyware thing going there.  Also good are Ad-Aware, "hijackthis" program, AVG free antivus (//www.grisoft.com) and "SpyBot Search & Destroy".

I set up a competely separate eddress for each use, and have not received one single piece of spam to the THL one.  October to now...

Blessings
 ~Kit

calestus

If you have a free email account (yahoo, hotmail, etc...) expect to get spam even though you have never even used it....  I signed up with a private email address here at the THL running of a rented server and i havent gotten any....:confused:

Daryl (deceased)

THL does NOT sell e-mail addresses.  I keep my e-mail addy pretty confidential and don't recieve spam e-mail except from sites that I deal with, such as midwayusa.com.

Try running adaware or another spyware program on your computer.  I'd bet that you have some spyware sending out information off of your computer.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: