6.5 mm round

Started by Bruce Baldwin, March 25, 2005, 06:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Baldwin

Hello Everyone,
I need your opinions on this topic:
I currently own a Mannlicker (SP?). It shoots a 6.5 X 54 MS round that is very difficult to find, but I love the gun. It fits me, it shoots easily, and it has relatively soft recoil as compared to a .30-06.
I have been thinking about buying a Styr in 6.5 X 55 Swedish. I have two problems:
1. I have to convince the wife
2. I have no outside opinion on this round.
I have heard that the 6.5, 160 gr bullett is excellent, so I am interested in keeping it, but in a case that is easier to obtain.

HOWEVER before I spend all that money on this rifle, I would like opinionis from people who know about these things first.
So, if any of you have experience with the 6.5 X 55 round or with Styrs in general, I really would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks so much for your help.
Most Sincerely,
Bruce Baldwin

Boondox

Bruce -- I grew up on rimfire and later the .223 (Marines), but once I discovered the joys of the 6.5x55 Swede it quickly became my favorite round. Phenomenally accurate, heck of a lot of knockdown punch, relatively easy to find. They just don't come any better.  :cool:

Good luck convincing the wife!

Pete

drinksgin (deceased)

Bruce;
There is an easy way to make cases for the 6.5x54MS from .30-30 cases.
Pm me and I would be glad to explain the method.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

CAfrica

Now Don, don't take this off-line, we all want to know how you do it.

C

Brithunter

Hi All,

You can get cases for the 6.5x54MS and even loaded ammo too although it's expensive, now it's an excellent round indeed but does not always require the 160 grain bullet, I ahve been trying out  140 grain bullets in mine and I will also try out the lighter 120-129 grains ones as well.

The Swedish cartridge is excellent, really is good but again you don't need the 160 grain bullets. I again use 140 grain in one rifle as that's what it prefers, the other shoots 120 grain speers really well. As for new Steyr rifles, sorry cannot help although a buddies brother has one of the SBS rifles in 308. The oleder steyrs were as you know wonderful. The newer ones well that SBS does not sit well with a lot of folks, the SSG on the other hand is very good.

I recently tested a Model 1903 which sorry to say had a rust pitted chamber, the guy wants too much for it so it's go to auction but I doubt it will reach reserve which he has put at £150  ($270 US) on it. If it doesn't sell then I will see if he will be more reasonable and have it rebarreled, it's a pre 1924 short rifle with a pop up peep in the hand of the wrist with rather nice wood, or would be after cleaning and re oiling which it needs. Bluing has almost gone it stood ina celler hence the rust. if I get it I will have it re-blued when the new barrel is fitted and it will remain in 6.5x54MS. I ahve the dies and some brass even factory rounds so i will stay wiht it. My rifle whihc I ahve now is a rebuild profect, the chamber was also knackered it ruined cases. A Gunsmith found me a brand new Styr barrel already chambered which was fitted but the chambering is very tight it might have to be polished as even factory ammo is tight on closing the bolt:rolleyes: .
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

You might get something from looking at this thread.

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Bruce and C;

Ok, here we go, I started out wanting cases for my .303Savage, no new cases, reformed were over $1 each, played around with it a while and tried cutting rings from .30-30 cases and forcing them down over the .30-30 case to the rim to center the case in the chamber and reinforce the head /body joint where a seperation would be likely to happen.
Worked fine, then came up with a .40 S&W case, wall thickness at the mouth was exactly what i needed, so I got some and started using this source of doner parts.
A person in Canada talked to me about his .303 Savage,I sent him a spare die set I had and he made some, while he was doing this, he looked at his 6.5x54 MS, again , same case , just bigger in body and no rim, he chucked a .30-30 case up in his drill press, cut an extractor groove at the rim with a fine hacksaw blade and then removed the rim with a file while still in the drill press, then pressed a sleeve down to just short of the groove and had a 6.5x54 MS case.
The sleeve needs to be .15 to .2 " long.
Once fired .30-30 brass is about $15 for 500, .40S&W for $8 for 500, plus shipping, the best price I can find for 6.5x54 MS brass is almost $2 per case.
You do need to make a die to press the sleeve on, very easy with a small lathe, but can be done with a drill press or even a hand held drill , either way, you have to finish it out with abrasive cloth on a dowel to get the finished size and polish it up.
I hardened mine by heating dull red and dropping in water.
RCBS has a die set for about $60 for the 6.5x54MS.
If you want more specific details, PM me.
Don:)

Lost Hunta

I was in Fleet Farm and saw either Federal or Winchester 6.5 Sweed ammo so ya there's factory stuff
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

http://winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X6555&cart=Ni41eDU1IFN3ZWRpc2g= gahhhhhh i knew it ha see 6.5x55mm ammo. Winchester Super-X
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=27&firearm=1 federal too.

Have y'all noticed that Winchester and Federal are like mirror images of each-other....am i missing something here?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

kombi1976

If you reload for the 6.5x54MS you should be able to get cases for it and Brithunter is right.....140gn bullets are perfect.
Steyrs are o.k. rifles although you may as well buy a Sako or US made rifle like a Savage or Ruger if convincing the wife is your problem.
Even a Sako is cheaper than the Steyr and the others are just as good if not better.
If you really love Steyrs and have to have the original Mannlicher full stock then all power to you but if your intention is to own a high quality 6.5x55 CZ and Sako make excellent rifles in the European tradition and Ruger and Savage make great rifles that are competitively priced.
Just check out the market before laying out the funds on a Steyr.
Then you may well be able to bring home a bunch of flowers for your wife the same day you bring home the 6.5x55..... :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Bruce Baldwin

Hi Brithunter,
Thanks for your reply.  I have never tried a 140 gr bullet.  I started reloading it with 120 gr, but I had trouble with the rotary magazine.  So I researched the rifle and found out that the 160 gr bullet was the original one.  
new topic:  You said something about a new barrel for a rifle you were looking at.  Can you give me that reference.  I think my old Mannlicher does need one, but I don't know where to go.
Thanks again,
Bruce

Bruce Baldwin

Don,
Thanks for this tip.  Unfortunately, it sounds like a full metal shop is needed.
I can find 6.5 X 54 MS cases, but they are not common and I have to stock up, because my Mannlicher has a head space problem and goes through brass in about 3 reloading.
CU
Bruce

Brithunter

Hi Bruce,

I was extremly lucky in that Ron found an original brand new in the white, still in the factory Steyr wrapping chambered barrel in 6.5x54MS which I had fitted. This chamber is very tight, in fact too tight so it's going to have to go back for polishing or finish reaming again. The bolt is stiff to close on some factory amo I have. I am sure some one like E.R. Shaw couls supply a barrel or if you don't mind buying a reamer, A & B barrels do a 6.5 blank which could be chambered and turned to replicate the profile of your barrel now, that way you stock would still fit :D .

Oh and I seat the bullets out when reloading, I think it helps with the deding from the magazine on these, Kynoch, Eley at least used to load 120 & 140 Grains bullets for the Shoenauer 1903. If that one I tried out wiht the rusted chamber comes back out of the auction unsold, I may well try to get it reasonable so I can have it rebarreled, I will try E.R. Shaw and A & B to see what they say. Oh another one I just thought of who do list this chambering is Lother walther;)  I remember seeing it advertised some where. There you go hope that helps.:cool:
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Bruce;
I just checked out a place called Sports World Inc., they have a web site and are advertising Norma 6.5x54 MS cases for $40 a hundred, about 25% of what I have seen other places.
Don

Tags: