Heavy Caliber Mauser Option

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 18, 2005, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

We'll start with this one as an example of 'stoppers'.

Brithunter

Hi Jay,

A couple of years ago whilst at a show held in the Bisley pavilion, I spied a real beauty sitting on  stand on a dealers table. It had some tasteful gold lining on the chamber and a couple of other little touches. Wonderful figured wood and looked almost new and no-one was looking at it, no price was displayed. So I wondered over to take a look, it had some West African retailers name in gold on it and as I say looked new but it was not. It was a genuine Obendorf mauser in 10.75 x 68mm price was about £850 ($1530 US) of course I was broke and didn't have a space on my licence for a 10.75mm. I don't know if it sold but if it had been chambered in 10.75 x 73mm it would not have lasted so long as I am pretty sure that is the metric name for the 404 Jeffries. That Mauser would have looked wonderful in MY cabinet:D  that show comes round again next weekend and I am out of work so broke. So what beauties will I see next week ? :confused:
Go Get them Floyd!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Perhaps this will show up.

CAfrica

Talking about stoppers, you guys will remember that I assisted a friend to load some 450 No2 NE bullets a while ago.  This weekend we finally got the rifle and the bullets together and I was offered the dubious honour of firing my handloads to see what they will do.  The rifle is a dbl bbl Pedersoli.

Well seeing as I am still around, you will have gathered that my load data was not too far off the mark.  We pushed those 480gr bullets at 2250ft/s, which is a bit faster than the book says.  I have to tell you one thing though, that rifle will be a real confidence booster when you are after things that bite, scratch or stomp in thick stuff.

Almost had an opportunity to see that in action too, we got a call from a neighbour that a lion had broken fences and entered his property, he was afraid it might take one of his newly acquired sable antelope so went haring of to see if we could find it.  Followed the spoor into some really thick bush in the corner of the farm, spoor being very fresh and that PH and the tracker went into the bush to chase up the lion.

Couple of minutes of adrenalin pumping later we found that the lion had crawled through the fence again into another farm and the "hunt" was called off. Pity, I would have loved to see that rifle in action in a situation taylor made for it.

By the way, that "little" double rilfe really bites your shoulder when you pull the trigger. The rifle is fitted with a ghost ring sight and off the shoulder I managed to put the bullet within 2 inches of my aiming mark at 30 yards.

Regards.

C

Jay Edward (deceased)

I don't want to overlook the Gibbs.:)

The first action is a Brevex.

The second is an Empire East Africa Express.

kombi1976

I have a word that sums up my entire response........OUCH!!!!! :eek:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

gitano

What is that thing? It looks like some kind of aperture sight, but I would be amazed (not the first time :) ) to find a rear sight mounted on the bolt... on what looks like the striker!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi Gitano,

Ahhh that's a P-H Sports Bolt Tail peep sight, the Firing Pin Nut has a dove tail machined into it and this peep sight is fitted into the dovetail. It has limited Elevation and windage built in and they were quite popular. My Mannlicher Schoeanaur should ave one but alas it's missing and they don't seem very easy to find nowadays :(

Obendorf Mauser even offered them as a factory fitment on their sporting rifles. If you have by chance KenWaters Pet Loads books, then take a look at the 300 H&H one where he has a new Hollan & Holland rifle delived ordered by a friend , Hmmmm I could do with a friend of two like that :rolleyes: , He also had Hollands fit one of these and did not have the action Drill/Tapped for a scope. Hope that helps my friend.
Go Get them Floyd!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Aw...c'mon guys.  If you really think they're neat, you can make one for yourself in the garage after work with a few simple tools.  

Here's the specifications:

gitano

BH,

Thanks! Never even heard of such a thing before. I find it quite surprising that a rear sight was mounted on a movig part of the action.

Jay,

Where DO you get this stuff?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

You will also need this:

Jay Edward (deceased)

And you will end up with this:

gitano

This still amazes me. Every Mauser bolt rifle I have every put my hands on has a very sloppy bolt. Of course, when the bolt is closed things are "tight", but still... Seems like a sure-fire recipe for inaccuracy to me. Jay, got any historical records of these sights out-performing receiver, tang, or barrel-mounted sights in serious competition?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Sorry Paul...not 'serious competition'...however, Townsend Whelen really pushed this sight at one time.  I believe he felt it was really worthwhile in the field.

But just how much movement do you estimate when the rifle is actually in battery with a live round?

Here is the Lyman 103 version:

sakorick

A buddy of mine in Germany (years ago) always claimed the Gibbs 600 Nitro Express was the most powerful rifle made...any truth to this? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: