8.59 Titan

Started by sambar, October 16, 2004, 05:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambar

can any one shed some light on the titan, i'm thinking of building one and need some advice
on how to go about it,as far as what action & barrel could i build one out of any help would
be great

Jay Edward (deceased)

I dunno sambar...that's a Lazzeroni proprietary cartridge and I believe that you need to approach this with a lot of consideration.  Lazzeroni achieves his results differently than standard manufacturers.

I know on the old forum I came to the conclusion that I would rather go with the Dakota cartridges.  Klallen is our most freqent authority on Lazzeroni around here with a couple others chiming in from time to time.  I believe he prefers the Lazzeroni over the Dakota and you might send him a PM.

klallen

Any of the Lazzeroni cartridges are hard hitting rounds for their particular caliber class. The Titan certainly does not deviate from this. Recoil can be an issue for some folks. A 250 gr. bullet pushing 3200 fps tends to let ya know when the trigger's been pulled. You can make that call for yourself. If you're not a reloading individual, shooting these cartridges can be an expense few care to endure. For the reloader, once the initial investment has been made for brass and the dies, costs to shoot are minimal.

Lazzeroni's idea with these rounds seems to be the light bullets moving extremely fast, for trajectory effect. He has specially sized and lubed bullets made just for this purpose. I've never taken this route with my Warbird. He touts near 4000 fps with the correct 130 gr. hunting bullet, 3700 fps with the 150's. I personally go no lighter then the 180's in mine and think that 3500 fps with these bullets is really all the flatter I'll ever need in my big game persuits. I would load the Titan much the same. Using heavier .338 bullets, it would be the very definition of a thumper !!!

I have talked with Lazzeroni through e-mail a couple times about his cartridges and he has always been supportive of using the Remington action. If this project were mine, I would probably go that route, with the Sako extracter installed. If you're going to go through the process of custom, you might as well start with an action that's easiest to blueprint. We've had the 700's bolt face opened up so things built on the massive .416 WbyMag would fit. Lazzeroni rim diameter is smaller then this, so it would be fine. As far as barrels go, Lilja or a super-match grade Pac-Nor would be my #1 pick but have been happy with less expensive Douglas, too. Big game rifles don't necessarily require a match quality barrel to succeed well, so you can definitely find things cheaper then Lilja that would fill your needs.

Another thing to consider, Sako does offer their TRG-S already chambered in the Warbird and Firebird. Seems like I've seen them on the internet as low as $699. Might be just as cost effective to pick one of these up, buy the .338 barrel of your choosing, same contour as the Sako, and have it chambered to the Titan and installed on the TRG-S. Wouldn't have to tinker with any of the action work that way. Personally, I would to the 700 way, as the recoil lug is much better and can easily be upgraded to thicker lugs, if ya feel you need it. The lug on the TRG-S, in my mind, is one of the weaker points of the rifle. That said, I've put many, many MAX loads through mine, and have not had a single problem yet. Something for ya to consider. Good luck to ya. >> klallen

Tags: