Rainforest Pictures

Started by Kanibal, March 06, 2005, 09:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

These are some pictures of the Olympic Rainforest, Olympic Mountains and surrounding Pacific beaches where I hunt, fish and live (in that order). If you have never been to the only temperate rainforest in the lower 48 I suggest you do so someday, it is very beautiful.

The top picture is Sol duc Falls one of the last stops for spawning steelhead and coho salmon. The second pic is a group of spruce and Douglas fir, third is the north fork of the Quinalt River which is a good spot to fly fish for steel head. The fourth pic is second beach at dusk, fifth is a pic of Hurricane Ridge(the only ski slope in the Olympics) with a view of Mount Olympus and last but cirtainly not least is a picture of the king of the Olympic range, Mount Olympus. It the tallest mountain in the Olympics. It stands at 7965 feet (2427 meters), so not nearly as tall as a lot of mountains in the Rockies or the Alaskan range. But in less than 40 miles you go from sea level to 8000 feet which is pretty cool. Black bear, Roosevelt Elk, Blacktail deer, five species of salmon and trophy steelhead heaven if any of you are interested in that.  

-Richard

M1Garand

Incredible pictures.  How ofter does it rain there?  Everyday?

Antler3

Wow ! Thanks for sharing those. Just breathtaking !
ANTLER 3

Kit

*sigh*

I'm SO-o-o-o-o wanting to move back there! Being downwind of Mt. St. Helens airpollution is not to my liking.  But now you go and remind me so graphically of all I loved over there!

Please don't tell me you have more than the usual amount of sun this year or I'll be a goner!

After growing up in Illinois, every day in western WA reminded me that I was living in coveted vacation scenery.  

Enjoy...thanks for the reminders... *BIG SIGH*
 ~Kit

Kanibal

It rains an average of 160 inches a year in my hometown but well over 200 inches in the rainforest. This year has been very dry so far though as the weather system has been hanging around down south with Rockinbbar. Yesterday it was about 70 degrees which is extremely odd for this time of year. We get most of our rain from October to April and it has been really dry the last few summers. Dry enough that the rivers have been so low that the salmon couldnt get up to the spawning grounds. They get jam packed into the lower rivers, makes it almost seem like Im fishing in Alaska.  Its not so much that it rains all the time but there is always a mist that accounts for about 20-40 inches a year.  The air itself is very damp, but not muggy like in Florida.  The air here is very nice to breath.  
-Richard

Kit

Quote from: Kanibal...  The air here is very nice to breath.  
Yeah!  and it's as good for your eyes -- literally -- as it is for your lungs.  What an awesome place, and thanks for the photos!

BRYAN

Hi  Kanibal,

Thank you for your wonderfull photographs, truly stunning, you must have a great life in that sort of climate.

Do you shoot as well as fish, have a great time for as long as you can.

Best Regards,  Bryan.

Kanibal

Bryan,  yep I do hunt a lot as well as fish.  The area is more known for fishing although our elk hunting is very popular here as well.  I havent killed an elk yet but missed one at 45 yards with my long bow last year.  I was going for a lung shot and was just about ten inches low.  But Im young so I have plenty of time to hunt elk, well when my rigorous school schedule lets me.  Im in college at the moment so dont have a lot of time for hunting.  I also deer hunt every year and hunt black bears which is a lot of fun.  I havent caught a steelhead over 20 pounds yet, but a lot over 20lbs are caught every year.  A guide friend of mine had a client land a 30 pound steelhead this last year.  My biggest is 18lbs on conventional gear and 15lbs on a fly.  

-Richard

Gmoney

Those are awesome pictures Kanibal.....wow.....One day I'll get up in your part of the country....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Shotgunhemi

Great pictures Kanibal. Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for sharing a little part of your world with us.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

outdoors-lover-and-hunter

Hunterbug

Thoes are some great pics. Thanx for sharing.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: